Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Tried to get the screws off the cover of the clutch master cylinder so I could bleed the clutch and the Phillips head screw stripped out. Not the threads, the Phillips head part.

I was thinking of taking my dremel and cutting a slot in the head to fit a straight screwdriver in to get it out.

My question is, What size screw is this?? I know it would be metric and I have no clue on metric sizes. And does anyone thing a Stainless Steel screw would be ok to put back in?

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Drill out the head of the screws only so you can lift the cover off. Visegrip pliers should be able to remove the screws. I think they are a # 5 or 6. I will check tommorow when I get to my shop as I have a 1200 on the lift right now. Hopefully someone hear on site can answer you back quicker.:action:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Bob,

I was headed to Lowes to see what they have, if not hit my local hardware store in the morning.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

If there's any evidence of corrosion on the threads you might want to run a tap in to chase the threads and use a bit of an anti-seize compound on the threads to prevent the new screws from locking up due to corrosion in the future... I use NAPA pt# 765-1151, the 1lb can. It's a bit expensive but the can'll last forever and prevent aLOT of future problems....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.