Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings---I just bought a non op 1981 GL1100 and found that they had stripped and re-drilled one spark plug hole. They drilled the hole so large that I cannot use a heli-coil. (It has an old monster spark plug in it.) How have you guys solved this problem? Is there any way to salvage this head? Thanks, Lew

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I'd just get another head off of eBay if it were me.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

If the hole is too big for a Helicoil, I would say it is not worth spending time or money on.

Get a replacement head on Ebay. They are not expensive.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

The Ferret always comes out on top :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

We are warmer down here so our reaction times are faster.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p it's still -25 with the sun on the thermometer.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Then get you old bones in that hot tub!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

I used to work on air cooled VWs that was a common problem.KD tools uset to have insert that were made like a bushing instead of like a coil they worked fine on a lot of oversized plug holes.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
96aspencade wrote:
Ya, Santa had to take it back :gunhead::gunhead:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
SB in SC wrote:
96aspencade wrote:
Ya, Santa had to take it back :gunhead::gunhead:
No I didn't. It's just covered with snow. And deer piss.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

oldmisterbill wrote:
I used to work on air cooled VWs that was a common problem.KD tools uset to have insert that were made like a bushing instead of like a coil they worked fine on a lot of oversized plug holes.
I've used those before also in my old sand rail. They work better than helicoil, but I still think you're better off with used head.

You might post a wanted thread in the "For Sale" forum. You might find a member with an extra lying around.;)

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Gotta gl1100 head for sale, setup for left side , 25.00 plus shipping , about another 20.00 in great shape. picasso.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks for the help. How do I measure the size and thread count of the much larger spark plug? Thanks, Lew

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

I have a set of metric & NF & NC thread gauges plus a plastic board with labelled metric holes in it. Very useful.
You could see if a 14mm sparkplug will screw into the hole & that would tell you the size. The thread pitch is probably 1.25mm

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

I would go for the used head for $25 instead of messing with oversized plug which can't be the same as oem plugs. May end up with other problems due to differant plug heat range ect.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

The larger insert that I have used that looks like a bushing is called a Keensert.

Do a search and you will find pictures and instructions.

The Keensert is much larger than a helicoil and should fix your problem.

Our local NAPA carries them in a kit with the proper sized drill and a disposable driver.

After installation there is four stakes that get driven down through the threads on the outside to lock the insert in place.

This is a quick and cheap fix to see how the engine runs before you spend money on a head you may not need if the engine is trashed and only good for parts.

Your choice.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I would only use those helicoil in non structural/ non stressed application as last resort. I had been in a boat where the sparkplug blew out like a bullet.

Used head a good idea.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I'm with OldMisterBill............ I took a head for a 6hp evinrude outboard to my machine shop. They drilled out the head and put in a bushing that scewed into the head, and the spark plug screwed into the bushing. Works perfectly.

luv U longtime.

Dancinbear

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

The keen sert allows you to use an origional spark plug.-never had a failure with them.The good thing is you are now installing the plug into a steel threaded hole instead of aluminum or Magnesium so galling is not a problem any more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.