Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

What's the best method of stripping the old liner/coating from my fuel tank? The old liner is separating from the tank and is stiff and brittle, almost like a piece of paper.

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

I wasn't aware they had a lining but you could put a bunch of small nuts and bolts, nails, screws and things in it and shake it.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Yeah....it's a white colored liner and it's separating from the tank walls.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

Sounds like someone used Kreem in the tank. I used a gallon of MEK to remove it from one of my smaller bikes. Won't be that easy on a Goldwing tank since you need to be able to slosh the stuff around for awhile.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

MEK is pretty nasty stuff....carcinogen and all. Wondering if just a good old paint stripper would work.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

Xtracho wrote:
MEK is pretty nasty stuff....carcinogen and all. Wondering if just a good old paint stripper would work.
Don't know if paint stripper would work. The stuff in the POR-15 kits called POR Strip has Methylene Chloride in it which is what paint stripper has I believe so maybe.

I have heard that Acetone may work but when you consider that stuff stands up to gasoline for a long time it's not easy to remove. I had no issues with the MEK. It is what the Kreem was made from when it first went in from what I have been told so it made sense that MEK would take it out. I just used it outside, wore gloves, and did not light any fires.

The stuff is not fun to remove no matter how you do it... I had no choice because mine was being slowly dissolved by whatever is in fuel nowadays. The bike would run good until I parked it. Then the float needle would stick in the up position because the dissolved tank liner would harden up around the needle and kind of glue it in place. Drove me crazy trying to figure out how a needle could stick up..

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Where did you purchase the MEK?

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

Hardware store. True Value if I remember right..

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Was also wondering if a radiator shop could treat the tank and get that stuff out of the tank.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

On a Goldwing tank that is probably the way I would go. I don't know about the 1200 but the 1100 has screens in it that the sealer can clog up. There used to be a place on EBay that had tanks that had been cleaned out and treated for about $100.00 They sent you one, you sent them yours. I don't know what happened to them. I have never pulled a Goldwing tank but I know it is a lot of work. So I would want to be sure I was putting a good one back in.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Agreed. I think the ebay vendor is:

http://www.cyclepsycho.com

I sent them an email today asking about tank exchange. The 1200 has a screen filter on the pickup tube but I cut that off long ago.

If I can get a good local radiator shop to clean the inside of the tank I think I can treat it myself. But, if this ebay vendor has what I need I may go that way.

And yes, it will be a lot of work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.