Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Actually a couple of issues. I have a 1991 GL1500SE. I LOVE this bike, before this one, I had a Yamaha Venture Royale. I STILL ride like a crotch rocket!!!!! :) Anyway, First, when I start the bike, warm, Cold, with or without choke, 40 degrees, 78 degrees, as soon as I start the bike, there is a STRONG smell of fuel. NO stuttering, lagging, nothing bad, at all. RUNS GREAT!!!!! Then there is the second issue, I am getting only like 18-23 miles per gallon. I have done a FULL tune up. plugs, oil, and air filter. and run SeaFoam in the last 3 tanks of fuel.

I have NO IDEAS on this bike, can I PLEASE get some Ideas?
A little History. I bought the bike in November of 2017. person to person sale, no dealership. I ride 32 miles ONE WAY to work. I ride every day. The few things that stop me, if the temp is below 40 degrees, Ice or snow on the road, I have to carry or haul something bigger than my trailer can haul. I DO follow speed limits, except maybe on the interstates, I DO pick up to like 85mph, I DON"T like this, as the cruise controll will NOT hold it!!! LOLOLOL
I CAN do some work myself. I have no aversion to getting into it. Just needing some help to figure these two issues out.

Thank you in advance for any and all help you can give.

Merlin - Brighton, CO.

·
Administrator
24,375 Posts
I suspect you will have to overhaul the carbs but it could be the vacuum fuel shut off causing both problems.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I suspect you will have to overhaul the carbs but it could be the vacuum fuel shut off causing both problems.
Yes a hole in the vacuum shut off diaphragm good cause fuel to leak into the intake. After it sits for a while take the vacuum hose off the intake and check for fuel in it

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DaveO430 and Sprocketrocket55 - THANK YOU. I was thinking it HAD to be something small and something that would be overlooked. The bike runs GREAT and is AMAZING going down the road. I will Look at the Fuel vacuum shut valve. Hey, who knows, try the SIMPLE things first. If I DON"T have to go and rebuild the carbs, why would i? I THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
706 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
if you have the cover off on rt side take the time to examine the hoses for cracks, loose fit clamps etc. to see if you have a seep.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
... 1991 GL1500SE... I am getting only like 18-23 miles per gallon....I DO pick up to like 85mph...

65mph is the Max you can go, in order to get mpg's around 40... mpg drops off a lot at higher speeds.

Recall the 1500 was designed back in 1988, when the National Speed Limit was 55mph... hence it was probably geared to get best mileage around that speed.

ps: Report back, after you Bypass the fuel petcock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts