Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Alrighty... I have a 1996 Aspencade 43K I bought about a week and a half ago. I made a great deal on it. Got two new tires, a new battery and full brakes front and back. The dealer also purged the clutch line and reservoir.

Late last week it started spewing fuel out of the carb drain pipe. They told me to bring it in. Evidently they opened the carbs and cleaned out what they called 'trash' from the carbs.

However... even now, I smell what I figure to be a rather excessive smell of gasoline whenever I ride the bike. It seems to be especially bad just after I stop the bike and the restart it... let's say, when I drive it up into the garage after raising the door.

Is this normal of a bike with this sort of wear? There doesn't see to be any obvious leaking going on like last week but the smell is what I typify as rather HEAVY. I've ridden my fair share of bikes and this one seems to continually reek of fuel worse than any motorcycle I have ever owned.

Considering the deal I made and the after sale service on the carbs... which was done for free, I hate to be troublesome with the dealer. But i can't help but shake the feeling that something is wrong...

Any advice on what it might be... or what I should do?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

if you didnt smell fuel when you bought it and before the fuel came out of the carbs if it were me i'd take it back before they wont warranty it

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

There will be many ways to check and maybe remove the smell but take it back to the dealer. You shouldnt pay for something you are not happy with. You should be %100 satisfied with the purchase.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

When finished with your next ride, open the shelter fuel filler door, on the right side will be a little dohickey, the vacuum fuel petcock, a little squarish looking device held together by four screws, run your finger underneath and see if yoou can feel lany dampness, there is a small weep hole on the underside that cannot be seen without removing the petcock, if it's damp it indicates an extremely common problem, the torn diaphragm.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi is the smell comeing from the exhausts if so the float hights are wrong also you need to get them to check that the air filter is on right re- its sealed and as said open the fuel door and smell around good starting point they have left something adrift hose not thight ect bring it back if you leave it there is always the chance of fire plus its expensive to get the carbs redone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.