Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for most of my adult life (and most of my teens) and a few years back I came into possession of a couple of classic's. One belonged to a dear friend and neighbor whose riding days were over due to a car accident and his bike sat in his garage. Since I rode (and was about the same age as his son) we bonded and would often talk about motorcycles on the tailgate of his truck after work. He sure loved his GL1100, and I loved to hear the stories of him ripping down the streets back in the day. Fast forward and one day I'm working on my deck, he comes over to talk about how its going... next morning at about 8AM, I get a panicked knock on my door- its his wife. He sadly passed away in his man-cave above his garage :(

His wife who is also a dear friend passed his beloved bike down to me, and I have been working on it here and there, I actually came across another one just like it by sheer coincidence and had started to put it all back together. But now, with 4 bikes in the garage (and the Goldwing's taking up most of it lol) I'm stuck... His wife has been loving the progress I made and it brings back memories for her. I even mounted a B52 coin on the tank since he flew on a B52 back in the day.

Its a tough call, I listed them on eBAY last week but it didn't have positive results...I got a suspicious bidder and eBay cancelled. So now I sit here after cleaning them all up wondering what the heck I should do, keep them or say good bye. My wife thinks the latter, I'm so busy at work I can barely work on them, its too bad I couldn't turn wrenches with him. Rock meet hard place!

Anyway cheers! And good to be a part of the forum!

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
Oh my that is a tough spot to be in . I suppose 2 of the bikes are ones you have had a while and in running shape? then the two Goldwings ? The 1100 is a really sturdy machine if it deosn't have to many needs. Of course if you dont enjoy that sstyle of riding and its going to sit it may be best to someone who has an interest in it. I guess the worse part will explaining to the neighbor why you got rid of it .
Have you spoken with her about getting rid of it ? She may know someone else she would like to have it ? Perhaps just getting any parts investment back for it .
Glad I am not making this choice. Best of luck .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other bikes are a completely different type LOL. They are superbikes, but... I have made the haul from Charleston SC to Key West (12 hours) on them as well as raced them.

As to her opinion, I had a long talk with her. She told me to sell it, he isn't here anymore. BUT... I know the bond between rider and motorcycle goes deeper that just "things" so its tough for me to make a decision one way or the other. Maybe it means more to me now.. I don't know.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have decided to sell, my link is over in the for sale section. Someone will be getting a very good deal. Tough decision!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts