Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Might be a stupid question, purchased a used 2003, 1800. It appearently was in a saltly East Coast Region. Most of the buttons are hard to press in and the cruise button just got stuck in the ON position. Any ideas how I may loosen or lubricate the buttons without shorting out the electrical contact. The entire motorcycle seems to be covered with salt spray. comes off easily with polishing compound. just don't what to do about buttons and switches. Any suggestions?

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Spray the buttons with Pricission Electronics Cleaner available at your local Radio Shack. It'll clean out the gunk without damaging the switches.:smiler: Welcome to the forum!:claps:

Gene:action:

Attachments

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

A lot of 1800 Wing owners here complain about sticking buttons, and it seems that the ones that get little use suffer from it more.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Spray the buttons with Pricission Electronics Cleaner available at your local Radio Shack. It'll clean out the gunk without damaging the switches.:smiler: Welcome to the forum!:claps:

Gene,

Do you take theunit apart or just spray the buttons an/switches from the outside?

Al

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Bashful wrote:
I just spray into the openings. I also have a catch pan underneath to catch the cleaner so it doesn't get on the Tupperware.
Just like he says. However, it it does get on your tupperware, it won't hurt it.:smiler: Have used it for years and never once had to take a switch apart, except for the ignition switch on my 1500 which just plain wore out, and I ended up replacing it.:shock:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Will do, thanks for the response. After years of biking (valk interstate, vtx 1800) I've finally become a gentleman motorcyclist. and can hear my radio again.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem, it stays on the ON position. I'll try that electronic cleaner and will post update.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Excellent I bought that PRECISION ELECTRONIC CLEANER FROM RADIO SHACK $11.99 and my switch is back to normal. So I did all the other switches just to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

Hah... I've got same exact prob on my '02. I've been looking some exact product proven to work.. as I've heard simply electronics cleaner..now I've found it, and where to get it..and it will work... I'm going to RadioShack tomorrow. Thanks for sharing. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.