Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, The problem I haveis that with the cruise on/off button engaged, my son pushed in the reverse buton. Now both buttons are engaged and will not release back out to theoff position. Also when I turn the key on the reverse light comes on and the cruise on light comes on. The bike can not be rolled foward or backward and the starter wont work. Any idea why the reverse and cruise buttons are locked and wont release??? Thanks for any info...........MECHANICASE

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

A double deal huh? Well for now yank the fuses to the reverse system so power cannot get to the reverse relay, with no power it should return to normal and allow you to start the bike and use it minus the reverse function. Year of bike? Should be fuses 13 and 15 . Fixing a stuck reverse switch Photo Gallery by fred harmon at pbase.com

Then try cleaning the area between the switch and housing to make sure dirt or something is not holding the button in, if this is clear then you have two choices Purchase new switches (only available in the entire switch assembly) or like the above take them apart, clean and grease them with silicone electrical grease.

If the reverse actuator has gotten jammed in some way you will have to remove the center inner fairing and put an open end wrench on the nut on the actuator pulley and with someone helping you rock the bike back and forth while moving the nut on the pulley until it becomes un-jammed. If it takes more will deal with that later, but you can work the actuator motor with some jumper wires and an outside battery if need be.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Kit Carson, Thanks for the info......Will go try ideas you listed. The bike is a 2003 with 12,000 miles on it. Youre right about the Goldwing being the very best bike ever built. There is nothing out there that even comes close to the GL1800. Great talking with you!!!! And thanks again for the info......Ill let you know the results. MECHANICASE

·
Premium Member
63,079 Posts
imported post

How about a good douse of contact cleaner????????

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

seem to be getting more and more incidents of button stuck in, looking more like a design or component flaw

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

The old "design problem". It is more than likely 'crud' that has stuck the buttons in. The buttons are push to latch and push to release, so theoretically you should be able to push in again and pull out. If its stuck on the inside (possibly the case with two switches) then disassembly and clean it will fix them. :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

not sure if your problem was solved, but we was in ga last month and the same happen to us on a 2005 goldwing, tried removing fuse and everything that was advised to you. finally we put a dryer to the switch and it released itself

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

MECHANICASE,
Welcome to the Forum from the State of Confusion........Andover, Kansas!! :waving:

Check out the events section for the KANWINGS thread as several of us here in the Wichita area would love to meet you and ride!!!

Also, did you get your switches fixed? If not PM me and I think I can help. I had the same issue on by 2002 GL-1800 as well. :action:

PM me anyway..........I would love to meet you in town for a cup of joe or a soda! :)

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

HI FLYONE, YES I'M STILL HAVING PROBLEMS....THE CRUISE ENGAGE BUTTON AND THE REVERSE BUTTON ARE BOTH STUCK IN, THE BIKE IS IN GEAR (WONT GO INTO NEUTRUAL),AND WHEN I TURN THE KEY ON THE REVERSE LIGHT AND THE CRUISE LIGHT LIGHTS UP AND WHEN I CLUTCH IT THE STARTER WONT ENGAGE (BECAUSE IT IS IN REVERSE MODE), BUT THE REVERSE AND CRUISE BUTTON SEEM TO BE LOCKED IN AND WONT RETURN OUT. IF I COULD GET THE REVERSE BUTTON TO RELEASE THEN I COULD SHIFT IT INTO NEUTRUAL AND THE STARTER WOULD ENGAGE. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP. MECHANICASE.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I had a similar problem with a hazard light switch sticking in on my 1500 and resolved it by a combination of contact cleaner liberally sprayed into every orafice of the switch gear and then a "flicking" action using my thumb nail, the same as one might "ping" a Tiddley Wink plastic counter. the fast release of my nail coming off the button did the trick in the end, unlike the slow release that your thumb would usually allow.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

If your bike is still under warranty, the dealer should replace the whole housing or mine did.A stuck reverse button could get you killed if you pull out of a parking spot for instance and it wont disengage. I dont think Honda would like that kind of liability.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Hi Guys,
I'm stuck on step 1 :-(
I have the clam shell open.
How do I extract the switch from the housing?
Don't want to break it.
Thanks in advance.
-Jerry
San Diego, CA
2003 GL1800

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.