Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In going through the gears, bike got stuck in 3rd gear. I'm unable to downshift, upshift or go into neutral. Bike is locked big time. Anyone know what is going on?????

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

This might just be a shift mechanism problem, but you will have to strip the front cover from the engine to see. With luck that's all it is, otherwise it's a major stripdown.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanx for the reply. do i have to take the engine out of the bike to strip the front cover????

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

You need to take out the radiator and water pump, then you will have access to the front cover bolts. :)

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanx. that's good news. i hope that help me to find the problem. i'll get on it tuesday.:)

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Good luck! You may want to take a close look at the waterpump seals andcheck the pump bearingwhen you tear it down. I know you have bigger fish to fry with your original problem but since you have it apart.......

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Hi there is a small spring on the shift mecanisim, I have know this to snap and cause this problem,

welsh winger

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

had this happen on my wife's 86 interstate. the bike sat in the garage for a couople of weeks, FINALLY, I started it up rocked it and suddenly could shift again. THEN, during stop and go riding (toy run) is stuck again, only to free up when cooled. I have replaced the EXTERNAL shiting mechnism and have been waiting for OEM o-rings as the after-market ones leaked.

SO... cannot tell you if this worked, but I see I am not the only whu has had this problem.

rodger

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

as above... to get to the external mechinism, you do not have to take out the engine.. and yes do replace the water pump while there... you can get the parts from honda or through www.bikebandit.com

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Sorry it took so long getting back to you. We changed timing belts on 3 1200's this weekend. Not much time for communication. After my bike sat for a day or two, I went out and yanked on the shift lever and it came out as advertised. Apparently that is the fix for this problem. I hope that it doesn't happen again. Thanx guys for all your help. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

cannot imagine that the timing belts were the problem with the bike not shifting, as I mentioned mine has done the same thing but works after the bike cools,

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

pt4004 wrote:
Sorry it took so long getting back to you. We changed timing belts on 3 1200's this weekend. Not much time for communication. After my bike sat for a day or two, I went out and yanked on the shift lever and it came out as advertised. Apparently that is the fix for this problem. I hope that it doesn't happen again. Thanx guys for all your help. I'll keep you all posted.
:12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

pt4004 wrote:
still cannot see how changing the timing belts helped... my wife's bike which has also been "stuck", gets unstuck after the bike cools, and then (once) has gotten stuck again in stop and go traffic....

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I got it shifting before we changed timing belts. We had three bikes in need of timing belt changes and had the workshop set up before my bike got stuck in 3rd. I don't think that the belt change is going to help or hurt my problem. So far the bike is running OK. Apparrently this problem is typical with some Wings. I just hope I am not too far from home if it ever happens again. Does anyone have a problem with it sticking in any gear other than 3rd???? Ride safe guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.