Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi all,

my wife, baby and I are touring the UK and we are now just south of Loch Lomond in Scotland. For the past 500 km the noise is getting really bad. It started with a "rattling" or quick knocking noise from the back end of the bike when pulling the clutch and shifting gear. The noise is now there constantly when coasting but there is no noise when "engine" braking. It gets worse in fourth and OD, but is now also in 3. gear. I think it is the final drive somewhere. Does anyone know where I can get assistence nearby? Some one with Goldwing knowledge?

Unfortunatley I dont have access to a computer only a mobile phone. But I can read my email today and tomorrow [email protected] or uk mobile phone 07824 673 336 text will work to.

There is no differance in performance and the milage is the same as usual. But the noise is now alot louder than the engine. A bit embaressing when coming along a country road and everyone is staring...

Thanks all

Soren Formerly Danish, now Scottish :)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

There is a Honda dealers in Glasgow, nearest to you is Victor Devine,58-60 Hydepark Street, Glasgow, G3 8BW ‎ - 0141 225 8100.

give them a phone call on Monday to see if they can help.
If you get really stuck post again and I'll see if I can help, I don't have any tools with me but I am only 2 miles away from Victor Devines.
Johno

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

Send him email, he doesn't have access to computer

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

I am wandering, do they wear kilts when they ride?:)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

sent one at same time of posting my message ;):)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Just an update for those interested,

Soren's GL1200 has been collected and taken toa dealer for repair, from whatSoren says in an email, it looks like either the U/J or the drive splines have failed on the drive shaft.

fingers crossed that the repair won't take too long and Soren and family will be on their way once again.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Keep us updated. We don't want any of our members stranded on a long distance ride far from home.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
imported post

Hope their bike is fixed!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Update from Denmark! I got the bike sent to Glasgow as Johno wrote earlier. To be honest I was hoping I could fix it myself. But no workshop and no spareparts and to little time when on vacation...

Victor Divine had a look at at it and said I was right about the universal joint in the shaft drive. He also said that he had seen Pan Europeans with rusty swingarms and mine looked really bad. He could not get parts and he would not touch the bike. My insurance could magically find the parts but Victor Divine was not interested and wanted the bike and trailer removed as soon as possible. Victor Divine was not impolite, just not interested.

The insurance got a car for us and we spent the rest of our vacation in a car and sleeping in hotels. Very, very boring and gets quite tedious living in hotels. The trailer had to be towed to Denmark as it was not possible to obtain a rental car with a towbar.

Flew from London to Copenhagen yesterdaywith 28 kg overweight. Oh well...

The bike and trailer has arrived in Jutland, Denmark at my "new" mechanic today. Unfortunately he is now going on vacation and won't have time to look at the bike until the beginning of next month. So I am on the solo bike for now.

But we did see Hunstanton, York, Newcastle, Edinburg, Loch ness and Lock Lommond on the bike. 2 and a half weeks on the wing - we all really enjoyed that.

Thanks for all the response guys, it was heartwarming.

Soren

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Sorry that, you didn't get much help from a dealer, just shows that some are only interested in 'new' bikes.

If it was just the universal joint at fault then maybe we could havebeen able find oneat short notice, then I could have brought tools up over that weekend and got you back on the road the following week.

At least you managed a bit of your holiday and have safely returned home with your family and motorcycle.

Johno

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

New update, bike fixed!

It was worse than I thought... Wornout rear discbrake and pads, siezed caliper, ballbearings came off rear wheel, the bit that goes into the rear wheel and the gears on rear end are both worn out and of course the shaft drive is broken too. Hoping the mechanic will be gentle with me when I get the bill... Wife keeps saying to sell the darn thing.

But we just got it fitted with a new sidecar and got the sidecar painted same color as bike. We finally found wheels that run car tires and a new leading link fork for the front end. It's almost there where we want it and the darn thing breaks down... Oh and the shocks need replacement and the trailer hitch is to small. Haven't told her yet!! Listen to me whining, almost sounds like my old shaftdrive ;-)

Soren

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,798 Posts
imported post

It sort of sounds to me like the PO did not keep the shaft drive lubed with Moly60 paste.

Glad you are home safe, and the bike is coming together again for you.

Some things are better to just keep to yourself :waving:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I have only just seen your posting, I am a relatively new member and live inStirlingshire,Scotland and ironically only about 25 miles from the "bonnie banks", I am saddened to hear of your predicament and what you went through and further more that I didn't pick up on your posting earlierwhen I could have been of some help,as a race we pride ourselves in our hospitality and our willingness to help someone in need as no doubt Johno has proved, I have lived the situation you and your family endured, it is desparate and helpless, if someone can help in any way possible, even if it isjust someone who knows the lay of the land , the local resources a go between or guide it certainly goes a long to ease an already stressful situation, I was so sorry to hear of your situation, I make no appologies for Victor Devine's of Glasgow, that is who they are, unfortunately they are the main Honda dealership in that area, shame on them, I have had my dealings with them in the past, I go way back to the days when I owned a CX500, still under warranty and they wouldn't touch it because I did not purchase it from them, so their attitude does not surprise me at all, they may not remember me but I certainly remember them and on that note I hope that this is not your overriding memory of this proud and beautiful land, they are a business and will no doubt treatlife in a business like manner but it is certainly not an extension of who we are, but for all that they could have gone that extra half yard and shown a little bit of courtesy and compassion, it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth indeed.

Anyway I am glad to hear you and your loved ones have made it back home safe and sound, that is the main thing, I also hope you get the bike sorted out and can return someday to saviour what this country has to offer.

Haste ye Back

Regards, Frank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.