Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Illinois will soon allow motorcyclists and bicyclists to go through a red light that has been stuck after waiting 2 minutes. You still will need to proceed with caution especially when making left turns. But this will ease of the issue of sensors that aren't triggered by motorcycles: Quinn wants motorcyclists to take two minutes at stuck red lightsIt looks like once the wording of the proposed bill is changed from "reasonable" amount of time to 2 minutes, he will sign it into law.

FWIW, there is a signal at the light where I leave work every night. It is an exit that meets with 3 different roads converging. All the rest of the lights cycle except for the one I need. It will only turn green after a car trips the sensor and at night there aren't a lot of cars leaving. I constantly had to run the red light every night unless I got lucky enough to have a car in front of me. I did discover though that if I reached my left foot back and pushed down on the center stand so it contacted the ground in the middle of the sensor location, it would trip the sensor and give me a green light when it was my turn. I haven't had the opportunity to try it at other spots yet. This one at work has been the only one I have had an issue so far and now itwill bea non issue anyway.....

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

yeah i heard about this thing but you know whats funny per the dmv laws

a car, truck, semi, suv anything like that is to wait at a stop sign long enuf to get out and walk around the vehicle and get back in thats how long your "supposed" to sit in your car before you proceede

the thing is it dosent matter how long you sit at the light or sign people just dont look when they are driving dam cell phones and bluetooth things and computers in your cars talkin to you

and people spend more time eating while driving i saw a guy chowing down on a subway club the other day going through town i mean come on..

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

"and people spend more time eating while driving i saw a guy chowing down on a subway club the other day going through town i mean come on."

Could you also see if he had extra mayo on that sandwich? :baffled:

Take care, Mike

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

I'll try to find it but years ago there was a youtube video about putting a strong magnet an the underside of your frame and it was strong enough to trip the road censer

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

In Wisconsin it's 45 seconds, then go when the road is clear. Just have to remember to tell the cop, if you were to get pulled over, that you waited 46 seconds and your legal all day.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

It's 3 minutes here in NC but ask any cop what they will do if they see you running a light, your getting a ticket. Most cops don't even know its a law. You need to copy it (off the states web site) and carry it with you so we can help educate our local Police.

Edit: One of the other things they suggested was to call your local DOT office regularly to complain about the "Malfunctioning light" that way you can prove in court, when you go for your running a red light ticket, that there have been issues, you waited your states time limit and did what the state law allows you to do.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

AZ will never have such a law. I often get up super early (before daylight) and go for a ride. I have to go through several lights to get out of town. Of course there is never any traffic that early, so you just get used to making a lot of right turns and doubling back.

According to the traffic engineer in my city, there is now way a motorcycle will trip one of those inductive grids buried in the asphalt, even if it is brand new. It is 60 year old technology, and designed for cars. There is nothing you can do to a motorcycle to make it trip one. It simply does not have enough surface area, and magnets don't work either. They would have to be hundreds of times stronger to trip one of those things. Fortunately my city is installing far more sensitive sensors up on the signal light arm which are supposed to pick up motorcycles.

As for bicycles, I never pay any attention to stop signs or red lights on a bicycle, I just look to see if something is coming. I also don't wear spandex or one of those silly foam helmets. Bicycles are not motor vehicles. I grew up riding a Schwinn Sting Ray (actually several) and would just hop on and go. Worked back then, still works now.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

ThirdCoaster414 wrote:
In Wisconsin it's 45 seconds, then go when the road is clear. Just have to remember to tell the cop, if you were to get pulled over, that you waited 46 seconds and your legal all day.
Bad thing about the Wisconsin law is people think it applies to anyone at any traffic light.

It only applies to bicycles and Motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Ithought that had already passed as ive been doing that all the time a light cycles and misses me on the bike

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Up here our senors are much more up to date & generally don't present much of a problem. But if they do, I just get off the bike & go over & press the pedestrian button.;);):D:D:D:action::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Minnesota has that law still says "reasonable" amount of time. Our safety instructor said you probably have a 50/50 chance of getting a ticket and would have to show up to court.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.