Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi - I am planning a trip up to Tromso in the second week in February 2012, to see the Northern lights.

Does anyone have any specific advice on what tyres to use,?? or any other things I should do to the bike (2010 - GL1800) ??

Has anyone been there at that time of year, and can give me some advice on what the road conditions might be ??

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome . I can not offer any ifno on the weather you will be in on this trip . Here is a tire you might consider for the rear . I am pretty sure its a size that fits the 1800 . I am not sure of a tire dealer on your side of the pond ,but it shouild be easy to find . Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D RunOnFlat

Ihope you will have some more response from folks familiar with the area . Best of luck . Be safe and enjoy the trip . Share some photos after please .

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

as i live in norway , i would strongly advise that you leave your bike at home and take the plane or coastal steamer !

that far north in feburay is still in the middel of the winter and NO place for a wing...............

my 2 cents.......

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Ice, Snow, and wind come to mind for that time of year. especially that far north. The wintersport tire is a good darkside tire, but it won't help much if your front tire looses traction. Do you ride a trike? If so, then go for it, but be careful and be warned that it might not be the best trip in the world also, keep safety in mind. If it's not a trike, and you still want to take the bike up there, my advice would be plan for a different date if possible. Riding on the snow can be done, but it's not fun. The size of tire that I have on my 1800 is a 195/55R16, but I've heard of people having a 205 on there with minimal rubbing. There's a few threads on the subject and for the most part its just personal preference as to which one you like better. Good luck and safe riding. :) Oh, and lots of pics please. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Any bike will be a tough ride in the winter. But when it comes to the cold and the weather it does not matter how tough you are because anything below the freezing point at any speed is cold.

At -25 C at 60 miles per hour you get very cold, so cold your shivering will interfere with driving and in time you will be so cold that your mind will not work.

The coldest I have ever been is on a bike riding in December in Canada, much further south than where you intend to drive. It took 4 days in room temperature to warm my core and that was when I was 19, even now at 65 -5 C at 60 MPH is dreadful.

And this temperature and conditions does not include winter/snow driving. On 2 wheels whether snow tires or studded tires it will be treacherous. Studs are good for slow constant speeds and any turns there will be forces to cause spin outs and loss of control.

Wheels and snow do not mix well, better a snow machine.

2 Wheel bikes have no traction to pull, the front wheel does nothing to help propel you through the snow, it in fact makes it worse because that wheel has to be shoved into the snow and depending on conditions that wheel is just like a flat shovel being pushed into a snow bank...it may go over the snow or it may push against the snow but in deep snow it will push, travel over then get shifted and the shifting will be made worse by your cold and fatigue as you struggle to keep the handle bar in the right position.

Snow and ice are a lot of fun on an oval track on a frozen lake or pond with studded tires because it is fun, it is clean, it is temporary, but traveling the northern hemisphere on a 2 wheeled rear drive is fool hardy.

If you go are you having a rescue vehicle travel along with you packed to the gunnels with equipment? Then have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I love my horizontally opposed four cylinder engine in the snow.

there is only one word for it...

SUBARU

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
imported post

First, welcome...but...

You're kidding, right? This is on par with the Russian commuter.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I hear what you say Saywen - and thanks for your input. I guess I'm just looking for that real adventure on my Goldwing, and mixing it with seeing the Northern Lights is just a great attraction.

I have tentatively made arrangements to ride to Bergen and put the bike on a cruise shpi to Tromso where we plan to stay until we have witnessed the Northern Lights. Then we would ride South back to the U.K. with the assumption that heading South would see us enconter better weather.

I've had great help from the GOC of Norway in getting my mind around certain things such as road conditions,and have leads on heated liners for our suits, visors, boots etc.

This tripmight sound a bit foolhardy, or even stupid, but I consider myself a sensible person who will not compromise safety, and so with the right equipment, advice and assitance, I still feel inclined to make the trip.

Best regards to you

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

from where i live in the south , its 1404km to tromso .

yesterday we had snow and hail.............

whatever you decide to do , BE SAFE !

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Your better off riding to Phoenix and hanging out with Dennis all Winter. It'll be like Summer again :action:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.