Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So filling a new battery with the acid. Filled in all 6 holes, up to the fill line, but what they heck is that 7th hole for (the one right below the line of caps)?

Am i sposed to fill in there too? All chambers are filled to the line when looking at the battery from the front?

thanks!

battery by mikejjmay, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Some charging systems use a battery sensor (although I've never seen one on a motorcycle). I would suspect that's what it is for. After filling the other six, I would imagine the seventh is already full?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Yes, that's for a charging sensor, my 85 Venture Royal had one.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I think that cap is over the same cell opening as the other one just beside it that you put the acid in.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Do not remove the 7th (odd) plug, ignore it completely (unless you removed something from there on your previous battery) your only asking for it to leak there if you do, it is for a battery sensor.

My advice to you would be to never buy another Lead/acid battery again in your lifetime, sealed AGM's are definitively the way to go these days. I pay $78 delivered to the door, slap 'em in and they last for years.

You can then also do away with the vent pipe which causes all kinds of other insidious damage that in your wildest dreams you wouldn't expect over the life of the bike, which is long if it's a GW.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do not remove the 7th (odd) plug, ignore it completely (unless you removed something from there on your previous battery) your only asking for it to leak there if you do, it is for a battery sensor.

My advice to you would be to never buy another Lead/acid battery again in your lifetime, sealed AGM's are definitively the way to go these days. I pay $78 delivered to the door, slap 'em in and they last for years.

You can then also do away with the vent pipe which causes all kinds of other insidious damage that in your wildest dreams you wouldn't expect over the life of the bike, which is long if it's a GW.
Yea that the plan for the next one. Unfortunately the temp is about to drop way low here, and i needed to get the bike running to circulate the new coolant i just put in through the system, so i had to run to the auto store and buy what was on hand. Definitely going the sealed route next time.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My 83 Honda Saber had a battery like that one. A sensor would go in the 7th hole and when the fluid level would go down in the battery, the info LCD would tell me the battery needed water. As posted, leave it caped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.