Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming home to day on a little 2 lane road with a 45mph speed limit, which I usually stick pretty close to. Approaching an intersection where a road comes in from the right a woman begins to pull out making a left turn. No danger, there is plenty of room, I wouldn't have even had to slow down if she had kept moving but she gets 1/2 way across the road and stops and puts her left arm up by her head as if to protect herself. I come to a stop and gesture to her, after she puts her arm down and looks toward me, like " what the he!! are you doing". She acts like she has no clue so I motion for her to back up, she finally composed herself enough to back up and I was on my way.
Be careful folks, there are ID10Ts among us.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Sounds like the cager that got me in Texas back in the 90's. Stupid woman pulled out and stopped on a 5 lane road! 2 lanes each way real busy and the turn lane which was empty, and she blocks my lane and the turn lane and just stops dead still.

Glad you got stopped, I didn't LOL

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
All motorcycles should be equipped with a rear aimed Barrett .50 You could probably get by with a lighter caliber on the front.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
All motorcycles should be equipped with a rear aimed Barrett .50 You could probably get by with a lighter caliber on the front.
So, my triple barrel anti submarine mortars,:sadguy: aren't really gonna do the job then!!! :?

I am glad to hear that it didn't end up worse Dave and that you survived her inability to drive!! :claps:

Yesterday I managed to narrowly avoid a van driver who for some unknown reason decided he was going to drive straight towards me on the wrong side of the road. We have a lot of Eastern Europeans driving white vans over here ans my suspicion is that he was one of them and just reverted to driving on the side of the road that he is more used to.... the wrong side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lash:

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Hey Pete , we all know you drive on the wrong side of the rode all the time:ROFL:
Glad to hear all you folks in this post were OK other than a momentary rise in blood pressure .

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Hey Pete , we all know you drive on the wrong side of the rode all the time:ROFL:
Glad to hear all you folks in this post were OK other than a momentary rise in blood pressure .
My blood pressure was okay, but it gave the Wing a good test of it's brakes, which I knew were fine, because I was on my way home having taken her for her annual testing, which she passed with flying colours as per usual. :claps:

I checked my undies when I got home and they were okay, so it couldn't have been that close a call!!! ;)

We all have to be ultra vigilant all of the time, no matter which side of the road we are riding on, even us, who are on the correct side!! :raspberry::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I have discovered that if I wear my white helmet I don't have any problems with drivers pulling out in front of you and other crazy manoeuvres. If I am wearing my dark bronze helmet all sorts of chaos occurs. The only reason I believe that the white helmet works so well is that they are all keeping an eye out for LEOs and mistake me for one. Glad everyone survived their heart stopping experiences!

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Texting :?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know what you mean.. I had the headlight modulator installed about two months ago. I can tell it aggravates the piss out of the cagers but its unbelievable how much more attention it gets.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
My blood pressure was okay, but it gave the Wing a good test of it's brakes, which I knew were fine, because I was on my way home having taken her for her annual testing, which she passed with flying colours as per usual. :claps:

I checked my undies when I got home and they were okay, so it couldn't have been that close a call!!! ;)

We all have to be ultra vigilant all of the time, no matter which side of the road we are riding on, even us, who are on the correct side!! :raspberry::ROFL:

So does someone have the history of why some countries drive directionally on the right and some drive on the left ?

I should know this but don't.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
I have read internet explanations that usually suggest that it was from way back when knights were approaching each other and liked to pass with their jousting lance arm to the side which the passing rider was.
Another explanation was that lancers did much the same and that Europe adopted the right side, under the orders of Napoleon who wished to try and scupper the British and their plans.

I have also read that these explanations are rubbish and that it was just progression within each country that dictated which side we drive on.
Personally I reckon it was the Americans, who caused the differences, just because they got the arse ache about the Tea tax!!! :ROFL:

·
Large Member
788 Posts
The other day, an idiot soccer mom took out a local LEO on his motorcycle, sent him 12 yards and a broken ankle. The whole time, all she is worried about is damage to her car and how she's going to get her daughter to her soccer game. No compassion for the officer on the stretcher, just kept staring at her car. Highway patrol wrote her a failure to yield ticket, upon which she began screaming at the officer for getting in her way. She turned left directly into him. Unbelievable. Stupid people shouldn't breed.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Anytime I see a car at an intersection the brakes start to be applied. Just do not trust anybody anymore. I really hate it when they inch forward after stopping. Glad to hear you are OK Dave!!

·
1,566 Posts
I have had cagers pull out in front of me, change lanes and push me out of the way, etc., etc.
But the one that REALLY got my goat was back about 20 years. I was driving for the local bus company on my normal route. The bus was a 42 foot long GMC Coach, all white, with the company logo on the side. All the lights were on. I come up to an intersection and there is a car there. I can see the driver look my way, look the other way, look my way again, look the other way again. By that time I'm just about at that intersection.
The only way you could say you didn't see that bus was if you had your eyes closed.
Lucky for me there were no passengers at the time and I just 'knew' something was up. I was already slowing and had my foot on the brake pedal.
Yup, pulls out right in front of this big, white, all lights on, GMC bus.
I locked up the brakes and hit the horn button. The driver saw me now.
Don't get me started on all the cagers doing stupid stuff when I drove semis. (Lorries to you guys in GB)
Okay, time to get off the soap box.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have discovered that if I wear my white helmet I don't have any problems with drivers pulling out in front of you and other crazy manoeuvres. If I am wearing my dark bronze helmet all sorts of chaos occurs. The only reason I believe that the white helmet works so well is that they are all keeping an eye out for LEOs and mistake me for one. Glad everyone survived their heart stopping experiences!
I think your right about the helmet. My dad has a chrome half helmet, and when he pulls over to smoke, all the cars slow way down while they pass us on the side of the road. I think I'm going to paint my wing white, just to see the response I get, i was going to paint it yellow, but maybe white would be better?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.