Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My question is.... Have these bikes been designed not to start while in gear and clutchlever depressed? When I used to own an early '90s VFR I didn't have to put it in neutral to start.

Also sometimes the engine dies (I need to change timing system back) at a stop and I cant start it because the neutral light won't come on although the bike is in neutral. I tapped into the neutral switch and made a switch by the handlebarso that I can fool the bike that it is in neutral when it act up again. It will be a pain to replace the switch (found out that it is covered by frame).

I hope somebody can help.This is myfather inlaws bike hisGL1200 will start in gear with the clutch depressed:baffled:

By the way.... They are quite nimble bikes for how heavy they are. Never thought I would fall in love with a Wing

Thanks,

Taucher

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
imported post

The bike is designed to start in neutral. It is a safety feature. If you look around you will find the link to download the service manual online. I hope you find what you need. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

The clutch switch may be stuck closed. thats why the bike starts, she feels like you're pulling the lever.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Yes there is a clutch switch and it should start in gear if the clutch is pulled in.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks you for the info. So the clutch switch may be bad. I will check it out.

Thanks,

Taucher

roncar wrote:
Yes there is a clutch switch and it should start in gear if the clutch is pulled in.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
imported post

oops, you learn something new every day. I have put probably 3000 miles on my wing in the last year and have never had a reason to start the bike in anything but neutral. I never even thought about the clutch switch. I Have always pulled in the clutch as a matter of habit. Sorry for the screw up. Stay safe

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

No problem. Thanks for responding. Drive safe

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
imported post

Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken (please), but I believe this started for the GL1000's in 1978.

edit: to clarify, what I meant was the whole neutral switch / clutch switch interface. Pre 78 GL's have a neutral switch, but all it does is light up on the console. No effect to the starter, and no clutch switch.

Yep, I find them quite nimble for the size as well. Lot's of fun!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

nomados wrote:
Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken (please), but I believe this started for the GL1000's in 1978.

edit: to clarify, what I meant was the whole neutral switch / clutch switch interface. Pre 78 GL's have a neutral switch, but all it does is light up on the console. No effect to the starter, and no clutch switch.

Yep, I find them quite nimble for the size as well. Lot's of fun!
They all have the same setup. If your bike does not have to be in neutral or have the clutch pulled in to crank, then someone has defeated the system (real easy to do) or you have a short somewhere.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
imported post

My wiring is "defeated' alright, and it's not stock. I've bypassed so much stuff myself just to cut the distance down for those precious electrons.;)
But I still can't find where the clutch switch / neutral switch interface is on the 75-77 wiring diagram, and that was what I was referring to with my comment. I've looked before, but can't see anything pointing to this. I see it in the 75-79 manual, but not the 75-77 wiring diagram. That's why I'm curious.
Can you tell me how you know for sure?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Take a look at the colored wiring diagram in the 1000 service manual. You'll find a switch in the lower right of the schematic labeled "starter disconnect" I think that's the clutch switch, I haven't chased the wiring out to prove it but it looks like that's what it is. My '76 doesn have a clutch switch and the other '76 I parted out also had one.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

I assume you are looking at the Honda manual? If so here are where the major components are on the 75-77 schematic.

If you trace the wires, you would come up with something that looks like my previous posted schematic of the starting circuit. The color schematic is much easier (neither show the diodes well) and I blew it up so my eyes could see it better. And yes, the clutch switch is called a starter disconnect switch on this schematic.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
imported post

Nice one roncar and exavid.
I was only looking at the colour schematic, so thanks for removing my confusion!:waving:
Starter disconnect = clutch switch. Simple enough.
Some mana for you.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.