Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am new to a Goldwing. I just bought a 2010 model with NAVI, ABS, and SAT. Tonight I was riding and I noticed a "warning light" appear on the display to the left of the odometer. It read "NWS!". I stopped, got out the owners manual and read through it and could not locate anything. Shortly after resuming my ride, the warning light disappeared and at that time a weather alert was announced through the NAVI system. I am pretty sure the NWS stood for National Weather Service and for some reason the audio alert wasn't coming through but I'm not sure. The two things could be coincidence. Can anyone please shed some light on this? Thank you for the information.:?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

First of all, you are very lucky to be able to buy a 2010 Goldwing. But I am not a fan of such technology. I recently bought a 1200LTD, and removed all the technological stuff from it. I like just a plain bike with nothing on it that doesn't make it go and stop, with minimal instrumentation. But I wanted the Goldwing because of it's windshield, fairing, bags, and trunk, as well as it's comfort. I like my bikes to be as primitive as possible. IMO, such technology is a distraction from riding, and could cause an accident. But to each their own, Congratulations on your new Wing.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
First of all, you are very lucky to be able to buy a 2010 Goldwing. But I am not a fan of such technology. I recently bought a 1200LTD, and removed all the technological stuff from it. I like just a plain bike with nothing on it that doesn't make it go and stop, with minimal instrumentation. But I wanted the Goldwing because of it's windshield, fairing, bags, and trunk, as well as it's comfort. I like my bikes to be as primitive as possible. IMO, such technology is a distraction from riding, and could cause an accident. But to each their own, Congratulations on your new Wing.
So how does this help the OP & his question.:? You haveestablished your point of view about the GW technology on other threads.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

I haven't noticed a warning light yet. I will check for one the next time I get an alert. I have noticed that sometimes I only get the little radar in the corner without an audible alert.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

That's interesting and definitely possible. With the weather band in the radio it is possible to have it integrated with other systems. They can push the data on top of the radio waves much like they do now with HD radio and others to get song name and artist, etc. for each song. I would try waiting for the next storm and look at the display again to see if it comes up. Oh, and congrats on the new wing.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I appreciate the responses. I would of thought there would of been info in the manual about this but I can't seem to locate anything there or online. Its hard to believe it could be anything other than related to weather but being new to this, I wasn't sure. Thanks again for the kind reception and helpful responses.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,709 Posts
imported post

fyrmedic6446,

I think that you came across a nice feature on your bike.
One that I think has some very good merit.
If I was headed into a hail storm and could learn of its possible presence before the fact, I think that I would use that information and turn around.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
imported post

That's wild! It seems far fetched, but I can't think of what else it could be...the only way I get alerted to hailstorms is the dents in my helmet!:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Don't know which model Honda is using for a GPS but I bet it's a Garmin. If you can find the model you can probably find a manual online that would explain the feature. My check the tech section to see if anyone has named the model of GPS that Honda is using.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
Don't know which model Honda is using for a GPS but I bet it's a Garmin. If you can find the model you can probably find a manual online that would explain the feature. My check the tech section to see if anyone has named the model of GPS that Honda is using.
As far as i was able to determine it is, in fact, a Garmin system. Just not sure which one.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

galaxyhunter wrote:
JerryH wrote:
So how does this help the OP & his question.:? You haveestablished your point of view about the GW technology on other threads.

This is pretty basic......... unfortunately it is water-cooled, but the rest is pretty basic.:ROFL:

Dave.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

My 05 1800 has the Weather Band on the radio. On the 1800s look for the WB button on the radio, and I believe there are multiple channels once on, to program in the closest one, which will be the one with a clear signal.:smiler: I've listened to it a couple of times while traveling, better than waiting for a weather report.:)

Gene:action:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.