Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... of Washington requires something our maggot lawmakers called a "Discovery Pass," money out of your pocket to enjoy what you supposedly own anyway. Required for all state parks, recreation areas, what not.... Damned pols...

Anyway, I bought one of the damned things, laminated it, and then tried to figure out how to hang it on my Honda ST1300 without some idiot stealing it....in a car you hang it on your mirror, and lock the door. Can't do that on a bike, right? So I taped it securely to the inside of my windscreen with fiber tape....

It's outdated, so yesterday I removed it....but it doing so I scratched my windscreen pretty badly (tried to use olive oil, heat, and a plastic scraper to take off the fiber tape residue). It's not a major issue because I ride with the adjustable windscreen all the way to the bottom (less turbulence for Red Goudger), and I look over the top, but it ticks me off anyway..... I've got some Novus 1, 2, and 3 ordered, and I've been working on the scratches with some silver cream metal polish and the scratches are slowly getting a little better. Anybody got any better ideas than what I'm doing? I don't want a new screen: mainly because they are minimum $185 and I've got some precious stickers on the original! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I don't have suggestions for your scratches but in the future, with the annual tags or stickers that you will have is there a place on the front fork where you could mount them on a metal plate, or between 2 thin pieces of plexiglass screwed together? Kind like the state Registration/inspection sticker applications that people use when required.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have suggestions for your scratches but in the future, with the annual tags or stickers that you will have is there a place on the front fork where you could mount them on a metal plate, or between 2 thin pieces of plexiglass screwed together? Kind like the state Registration/inspection sticker applications that people use when required.
Jobe, that's a helluva an idea! Maybe have it hooked to a wrap around chain with a padlock......good on ya, mate! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
To top it off, if you don't have a Discover Pass, they try to nail you for day usage at $10.00/day. It cost me $20.00 to enter Yellowstone, and the pass was good for a week!
Get real.
I wonder if there is a way to contest a violation ticket, if you have a pass and don't display it?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To top it off, if you don't have a Discover Pass, they try to nail you for day usage at $10.00/day. It cost me $20.00 to enter Yellowstone, and the pass was good for a week!
Get real.
I wonder if there is a way to contest a violation ticket, if you have a pass and don't display it?
I'm gonna copy it on the same color paper, cut it out, laminate it, and then put it between two pieces of plexiglass like Jobe suggested....in fact, I'm gonna make two of them, one for each bike, carry then on the bike, then...if I have to leave for some reason....I'll chain the copy to the bike. The original I'll carry on my person...... At sixty-two, nearly a decade ago, I got that $10 lifetime National Parks pass....it has literally saved us hundreds.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it have to be on the front of the bike? If not, how about one of these behind your rear licenses plate?

Hey! That's not a bad idea, either....... make a mount for both copies of the dumb thing, hang one on each bike.....thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
I would also back it up with a piece of paper marked "For vehicle Licence # **** only". Then mount appropriately.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Keep it in a locked box and place a cover over the bike. It is illegal for them to remove your cover to check for the tag, but you can always say that the tag was on the bike just under the needed cover.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Why not put the new one right where the old one was, and cover up the scratches? I removed some old sun baked duct tape from my daughters car window, where she had taped it up because the regulator failed. I had to use acetone and steel razor blades, and it still took hours to get it off. I was unable to get it off the paint without also removing the paint. I let it soak in WD-40 overnight, still wouldn't budge.

AZ has a similar law for use of "off highway" vehicles. Other than private property, the only place you can ride/drive a non street legal vehicle (quad, dirt bike, etc.) is on something called "state trust land" you can either get a year long pass, which is basically a motorcycle sized plate to put on the vehicle, or get a one day pass every time you go. And these places are not that much fun, they are always over crowded. Every single trail in the state is considered a legal road. When I had a quad, I rigged it up to be street legal (pretty easy to do here if it will pass emissions), I now have a dual sport motorcycle that can be ridden anywhere (except state trust land)

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Novus works good on scratches. When i bought my 1500 there was a lot of scratches on the tulsa shield. I used novus to lighten them up a bit. Also the novus worked pretty good to clean up my headlights on my toyota tacoma.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What are you bitchen about? Its a free country and your free to pay and pay.Truthfully I have been pissed ever since they have started to charge to stop and take in the view it the forest I now have a golden age pass for Nat and state parks.About 14 years ago while living in Az. thousands of people would stop and enjoy the hiking and the view in Sedona,Az until the state required a pass.Now you see about 90% less people there.Its the same B/S here in Or.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.