Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
491 Posts
I couldn't agree more John, , , , hours and hours of YouTubers give us all a great idea of what a cluster(*U%@ it is.

With 60% of residents opposed to the event, , ,the City Council and Governor appear to show their middle finger proudly. A lot of revenue is being pumped into the economy, , I just wonder if it will be worth the poor "optics" to the voters.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I don't think it is as bad as the article suggests. The locals that are concerned about the virus should stay at home.
Corona will burn itself out and not because of the mask.

When you have thousands of ANYBODY you have a chance to get a few bad apples. The town council did whats best for their economy.
I did Daytona many times and I found it to be very entertaining.
If I ever happen to be in that area during the rally I would attend. I assume the hotels are all booked solid during the event

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'd be surprised if those stats weren't "Normal" for any other day of any other year during Sturgis rally.. And also why I've never gone.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You just go a few weeks after it is over. You still get to see the town and get your T shirt without being in the middle of the zoo. That is what I did when I was traveling through the area in late Aug. about 20 years ago. This type of event is just not my thing.

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
491 Posts
The question has NEVER been whether this virus will end. Nobody has ever said that this virus will never end, , even complete idiots say that it will end.

The BIGGER question is how does America mitigate its spread so we reduce the needless deaths from it?
The answer is to implement all the tools at our disposal so that the infection rate drops low enough to successfully Test, Trace, and Isolate the infection. Masks are only one of the tools used to accomplish this goal, , social distancing, avoid large gatherings, and wash/sanitize hands are others. This action is proven worldwide by countries/states who were successful, but we seem to balk at following these guidelines, in-spite of our experts' recommendations.

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
John, I'm surprised that you are quoting CBSNews and CNN.

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
I couldn't agree more John, , , , hours and hours of YouTubers give us all a great idea of what a cluster(*U%@ it is.

With 60% of residents opposed to the event, , ,the City Council and Governor appear to show their middle finger proudly. A lot of revenue is being pumped into the economy, , I just wonder if it will be worth the poor "optics" to the voters.
Oh boy! Here we go again. Lol.

·
Magic Moderator
4,568 Posts
I'd like to see it once in my life time. Been to Bike Week and Biketoberfest in Florida years ago. Been there, done that.

·
Administrator
26,154 Posts
Should be some used Motorcycles for sale in a few weeks from bikers estates.
There are so many used harleys for sale already it's hard to get rid of one.

·
Administrator
26,154 Posts
I wouldn't go to the Sturgis rally virus or not. Don't like crowds and especially loud drunk crowds. They have a big biker rally in Hot Springs Ar, heard they were quitting it but don't know for sure, and always several crashes and other problems.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when Alcohol becomes part of the mix, I am gone.

and I know that a lot of our members do enjoy a beverage around the campfire in the evenings...
but, when the Alcohol starts doing the talking, I leave immediately.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
If anyone believes the #s being promulgated about -19 or that those nasty, germ infested, ill-fitted mask actually work.....please.... don’t raise your hand.

Just got back from a MI to SD 4 weeks ago on the 1800. (classic car auction)

I have had the 1200 on the Needles, but not the 2010. Great rides in that area.

Loud pipes....sound of what little freedom that we have left. And I have stock exhaust, wear a helmet and use ear plugs.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
I used to love the Aspencade rally in Ruidoso, New Mexico, but it got so Harley ganged out with fights, shootings etc, that the guy who started the rally, moved it to New York. The town of Ruidoso and a couple of others kept a meet going, called the Golden Aspen Rally, and it got a lot better, at first. Then...

It may still be happening today but I haven't been back in at least 20 years.

·
Registered
784 Posts
With a name of Ruidoso (translates from Spanish to "Noisy") it's no wonder the Hardleys came... 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Brother, Son, Wife, and I rode out to Sturgis last year, two weeks after the event. We got to see the town and sites without the hassle. I am glad we did. I have no desire to go during bike week, to much can go wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Going to Sturgis after the bikers leave it's like going to a gogo joint to see the bar. Not that I was fond of them.
I do like crowded places like ,Lake George Ny ,key west,, Gatlinburg TN
My wife don't care much for crowds

1 - 20 of 28 Posts