Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone going to Sturgis this year? The wife and i will be down there from Aug 2nd-12th

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one is going to Sturgis? Almost shocked

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
...if you've seen one drunken Pirate then you've seen them all...

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
:claps:

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Hope to be there between the 14th to the 16th depending on when we leave LA and how hard we ride.
Saw some YouTube video of riding the Black Hills during Sturgis week and decided I would rather enjoy the ride and miss out on the frivolities even though it is the HD 110 anniversary.:)

·
1,566 Posts
Sturgis?
which one?
Michigan?
South Dakota?
Mississippi?
Kentucky?
I've driven through the one in SD but didn't stop. Wasn't interested.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
I prefer Black Hills either before or after prime tourist season.
Yeah, me too. Last time I went to Sturgis it was such a zoo that you really couldn't enjoy yourself. Never anyplace to park. Stand in line a half hour to pee. Anytime you go for a ride, you're immediately stuck behind a train of slow-moving, very loud v-twins. Not to mention the minivans & SUVs filled with foreign tourists.
It's like that all of August. Probably July & September, too, though I've never visited those months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Before or After

no one is going to Sturgis? Almost shocked
Enjoy your trip to Sturgis!
I am going, but the week before all the crazy people show up!
Going for the ride and the scenery. Leaving tomorrow.
Have to be back home in Michigan by the 4th of aug anyway... WORK!
Will be fun to watch all that traffic going in the other direction!

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Was there last June

and the first ofJuly..did the needles deal,Deadwood etc good time no traffic and the T shirts were cheap:)

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Sturgis is not just for Harley's, you see all kinds of bikes. If you haver been there it's worth going once. It has become a big motorcycle tourist trap but still fun once just to see all the interesting/strange sites.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
...it's a Pirate Party.
Everybody wants to be a Pirate nowadays. Don't matter what they ride. Sturgis is about partying and nothing more. There is such a small percentage of those that don't ...that they don't even get catered to.

I'm 100% certain that Robbie Knievel intentionally got that DUI at the Buffalo Chip for publicity.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Been there 3 times.

The only one that was good for me was the first time, 1974 or 75.
Down main street was JUST ONE row of bikes and in the middle.
Getting places was easy. I was able to walk from point A to B, in a straight line.
It wasn't all that loud and you could talk in a normal volume and actually hear the conversation.
Taking a ride out in the hills, you could hear nature sounds.
:thumbsup:

ALL this is not possible today.
:thumbsdown:
GOT'A find more space, spread the masses...
BUT KEEP them up there.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
What Dedgar said. Been up there one week before and still saw a lot of stupid stuff riders were doing. Not at Sturgis but surrounding areas.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I was in Sturgis a few years ago on our way back from trip out west. The H-D rider I was with just HAD to get a Sturgis/HD T-shirt.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I avoid that area for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after Bike Week. Beautiful country other times of the year. Sturgis is like a ghost town for all but one month a year.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I actually hit it on Saturday. I rode the Valkyrie down main street. It hit me as I did, that I was riding through the biggest T-shirt bazaar in the world. At least I can scratch Sturgis off the bucket list.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
But now you can die happy knowing you've see Sturgis ! Almost better than going to see the Corn palace in Mitchell S.D. : -)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.