Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a query, I have been riding Goldwings for 30 years, I have a beautiful 1995 GL1500A Aspencade and is still my favourite, I also have a gl1800 which I use for daily commuting. I was considering updating my gl1800 to the new Goldwing Tourer and was reluctant as the top box was too small, on this year's edition they have increased the top box to 61L which is an improvement but I'm disapointed that the front and side fairings are still smaller than the GL1800. This is the only thing holding me back from purchasing the new Goldwing Tourer, it may sound ridiculous but reducing the size of the best motorcycle in the world just doesn't seem to be good marketing on behalf of Honda, maybe I'm missing something in the reasoning of why Honda reduced the presence of a commanding motorcycle on the road but increasing the top box up to 61L seems to suggest that they got it wrong by reducing it in the first instance, another reason I like the Goldwing Tourer is that the profile is very reminiscent of the GL1500A, anyway if someone has thoughts on this post I would love to hear them because like I said at the outset I love my Goldwings but the new Goldwing Tourer isn't quite there yet in satisfying the old riders like me and appealing to this current generation,one last thought I have spoken to 3 new Goldwing Tourer riders and all of them are selling to rebuy a GL1800 2016 upwards model before the change as they felt the front and side fairings was just too small compared to the GL1800, maybe Honda will rectify this by 2025 but if I had bought a Goldwing Tourer when they first launched I would feel hard done by. regards Goldwing Johnny

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
645 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere that the newer Wing's safe weight carrying capacity is completely taken up by the average GoldWing rider and pillion...

There were 2 main reasons I chose the 15 over the 18 - luggage space and looks. I don't like the 'rounded' appearance of the 18's

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure I read somewhere that the newer Wing's safe weight carrying capacity is completely taken up by the average GoldWing rider and pillion...

There were 2 main reasons I chose the 15 over the 18 - luggage space and looks. I don't like the 'rounded' appearance of the 18's
Hi Nitrowing, thanks for the reply, I totally get the reasoning in weight reduction and aerodynamics but the whole purpose of a Goldwing is to be the biggest and the best, I get great satisfaction knowing that if someone God forbid is going to hit me at least I'm big enough to hit them back!!! I believe they will increase the size of the front as time goes on, so will just wait, or I'll buy a 2016 40th Anniversary Model as I like the change in the style to the rear that took away the roundness of the back of the 1800 and the clever repurposing of the lines in the front took away from the rounded front. All I can do is wait and see!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,971 Posts
I think Honda was hearing a lot of "It's too big" from people they were talking to about the pre 2018 'Wing. Even the first 1800s were slightly smaller than the 1500s for that reason. I used to say, "if they would bring the 1200s back as a new model, I'd buy one". Now, they sort of did that in that they made the bike sportier but they kept the 6 and added a ton of absolutely useless gee-gaw crap. Plus they reduced the luggage capacity to the point I couldn't get a travel size tripod in the trunk.

I suspect the bottom line is; they're not making the new models for us, they're making them for our grandkids.

I am in the market for a new bike, but the new ones just don't suit me, so a used one it will be. I really don't care that much for the looks of the post 2013 models but those are the only ones I'm seeing that fill the bill right now.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I was looking at the new ones, but that you couldn't get two full face helmets in the trunk was a total deal breaker for me. Now that they have increased the capacity, I will look again. I got a 1500 specifically for the smoothness and luggage capacity over the 1800. I wanted a touring bike not a sport tourer. I have other bikes for more spirited riding. I wanted a bike where I could go 1000 miles and think nothing of it.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
960 Posts
Seems Honda was going after the millennial age group. Specifically the 35-45 year olds. They produced a "Sport Tourer".
Smaller and lighter, but kept some of the touring amenities.
I looked at the new ones but was turned off by the size and al the computerized electronics.This was all done to be more appealing to a certain age group.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
That's the other thing. Pre COVID when I was looking there were some nice markdowns to be had on last years 1800 DCT gathering dust in the showroom. I looked at a bunch going near $20k with no takers. Now they get full price if you can even find any. I still want one, but $30K plus is hard to swallow when they were $20K not that long ago.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts, in a nutshell, Honda really messed up in the marketing department and totally misread the mood of Goldwing riders, the most important rule of marketing when creating change is not to alienate your current client base but acknowledge and retain their loyalty while cultivating a new client base, it's a delicate balancing act but it's one Honda has got drastically wrong, I like all the new technology but strike that balnce between old and new correctly and you are on a sure fire winner, and increasing the top box to 61L is a small step to rectifying the Goldwing to what it was and what it can be if someone in Honda actually listened properly. So for me it will be 2014 upwards secondhand prior to the terrible mis-step in 2018 from Honda for my daily commuting and touring for my 1500. Maybe someone in Honda actually reads comments and takes onboard constructive criticism and restore Goldwing to it's proper place in the market because other motorcycle makers are spotting this weakness in their strategy,but what do I know, I'm only a Goldwing rider for the last 30 years!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
These are all moot points since the Goldwing is on the chopping block. I doubt Honda will do much more than cosmetic changes as the Goldwing gets phased out. Since the European emissions standards (and some of the U.S) are becoming so strict our beloved Wings cannot survive. A lot of the changes through the years were a result of government environmental mandates and tougher emission standards. What motorcycles are equipped with catalytic converters? We dodged that one. California is on course to ban sales of all new internal combustion engine equipped vehicles in the near future. They already have banned small ICEs. I wonder what will happen to all the independent gardeners we see every week mowing lawns. That's a lot of batteries to cart around and recharge.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,715 Posts
These are all moot points since the Goldwing is on the chopping block. I doubt Honda will do much more than cosmetic changes as the Goldwing gets phased out. Since the European emissions standards (and some of the U.S) are becoming so strict our beloved Wings cannot survive. A lot of the changes through the years were a result of government environmental mandates and tougher emission standards. What motorcycles are equipped with catalytic converters? We dodged that one. California is on course to ban sales of all new internal combustion engine equipped vehicles in the near future. They already have banned small ICEs. I wonder what will happen to all the independent gardeners we see every week mowing lawns. That's a lot of batteries to cart around and recharge.
I have a Ryobi 40V electric mower,
it is only good for trimming the edges around the lawn or patio.

I tried to use it in the Berm out by the street, and if the grass higher than 2 inches, it bogs down horribly.
the battery will last 30 to 45 minutes, depending on grass thickness.
recharge is 45 minutes to an hour.

those things are horribly over priced, I paid $10 for mine at a Liquidation Store then had to buy the battery for it, $160

the store where I got mine, had a Semi Trailer load of Ryobi mowers that were broken, or brand new, unsold.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Darkwing,

Your points are on the ball we are looking at the twilight years of the magnificent Goldwing, the only saving grace for me is that in Ireland we haven't gone nuts when it comes to phasing out combustion engines, I m 57 and I have about 30 more good years riding left in me by then it won't really matter to me, BTW I ride a 1800 on a daily basis reporting traffic news for my local radio station, I think I might be the only person in the world who uses a goldwing for this purpose, it truly is a great workhorse, never lets me down and is such a commanding prescence on the road, so far I've converted 14 BMW riders to change over to a Goldwing but would never recommend the current model, maybe the cosmetic changes to it's current look will mean restoring the front and side fairing back to it's original size, the new Goldwing is a bitch in the wind! I love the look of your front lights, could you post a picture of what it looks like in daylight, thank you.

·
Registered
2012 gl1800
9 Posts
I'm in the same camp. My first Godwing was a 1981,1100 then a 1984, 1200, then I moved to Massachusetts from California, my family grew, and I sold the 1200 in 1992. Later my wife said if we move back to California, I could get another bike. We were planning the move when I saw a picture of the new 2012 Wing. I fell in love and ordered one from Schroader's Honda in Hendersonville, North Carolina, never even having sat on a motorcycle in 20 years. I flew down, picked up the bike, was a little hesitant when I threw my leg over the saddle, but I took off riding the Blue Ridge Parkway half the way home. After a couple turns, I was in Goldwing Heaven. After a few years I had been in anticipation for a new wing, mostly because I was disappointed in the navigation system. I was so excited to learn a new Wing was coming in 2018 but was really let down. I love all the new technology all but a little scared about buying a new model bike with so many updates. What really killed my feelings for it was the size. First, I was really hoping for a 2,000 CC engine, in my world it can't get too big. Then the size, luggage capacity and presence on the road. It just doesn't compare to my 2012.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motorcycle helmet Automotive tire

I have 118,000 miles on my wing and have spent around $40,000 on it over the years, including the trailer. If it's not raining to start out, I'm riding it. I still stand in my garage and just stare at it. I just feel like the new wing just won't give me the same feeling when in the saddle.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm 68 years old with arthritis and my left hand doesn't pull in and hold the clutch as comfortably as it used too, so the new DCT is very appealing and despite my disappointment in the size I expect I will eventually buy a new Wing, although I'm not looking forward to the cost of the bike
and all the upgrades and add-ons I want, like I did to my 2012. I was going to sell my 2012 but could only get a fraction of what I've put into it so I expect I will keep it as a second bike. I guess we will have to see what the future holds. Bigger would be better, but I think it's only a dream.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 GL1200A
5 Posts
Hi all,

I have a query, I have been riding Goldwings for 30 years, I have a beautiful 1995 GL1500A Aspencade and is still my favourite, I also have a gl1800 which I use for daily commuting. I was considering updating my gl1800 to the new Goldwing Tourer and was reluctant as the top box was too small, on this year's edition they have increased the top box to 61L which is an improvement but I'm disapointed that the front and side fairings are still smaller than the GL1800. This is the only thing holding me back from purchasing the new Goldwing Tourer, it may sound ridiculous but reducing the size of the best motorcycle in the world just doesn't seem to be good marketing on behalf of Honda, maybe I'm missing something in the reasoning of why Honda reduced the presence of a commanding motorcycle on the road but increasing the top box up to 61L seems to suggest that they got it wrong by reducing it in the first instance, another reason I like the Goldwing Tourer is that the profile is very reminiscent of the GL1500A, anyway if someone has thoughts on this post I would love to hear them because like I said at the outset I love my Goldwings but the new Goldwing Tourer isn't quite there yet in satisfying the old riders like me and appealing to this current generation,one last thought I have spoken to 3 new Goldwing Tourer riders and all of them are selling to rebuy a GL1800 2016 upwards model before the change as they felt the front and side fairings was just too small compared to the GL1800, maybe Honda will rectify this by 2025 but if I had bought a Goldwing Tourer when they first launched I would feel hard done by. regards Goldwing Johnny
I agree wholeheartedly. I have had two '85 gL1200s and two GL1500s, have ridden multiple other later models and my all-time preference of all I've ridden, would be the GL1500s from 1996-2000.I have yet to ride anything that compares to the all-around comfort and rideability. The way I packed my 1500s made it weigh in at nearly 900, before I got aboard. I weigh about 185. at that gross weight I could still u-turn it within 20' circle. It was hard to get someone to understand how all that gross weight just disappeared as soon as you put your feet on the pegs. I could ride the 1500 from tank to tank and not be tired from riding. The biggest headache with the 1500 is the difficulty in changing the rear tire. What an ordeal!!!

Next, I could never understand why Honda never built a 1500 with fuel injection. Anyone have any explanation about that?
Be blessed, DT

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm in the same camp. My first Godwing was a 1981,1100 then a 1984, 1200, then I moved to Massachusetts from California, my family grew, and I sold the 1200 in 1992. Later my wife said if we move back to California, I could get another bike. We were planning the move when I saw a picture of the new 2012 Wing. I fell in love and ordered one from Schroader's Honda in Hendersonville, North Carolina, never even having sat on a motorcycle in 20 years. I flew down, picked up the bike, was a little hesitant when I threw my leg over the saddle, but I took off riding the Blue Ridge Parkway half the way home. After a couple turns, I was in Goldwing Heaven. After a few years I had been in anticipation for a new wing, mostly because I was disappointed in the navigation system. I was so excited to learn a new Wing was coming in 2018 but was really let down. I love all the new technology all but a little scared about buying a new model bike with so many updates. What really killed my feelings for it was the size. First, I was really hoping for a 2,000 CC engine, in my world it can't get too big. Then the size, luggage capacity and presence on the road. It just doesn't compare to my 2012.

View attachment 330347

I have 118,000 miles on my wing and have spent around $40,000 on it over the years, including the trailer. If it's not raining to start out, I'm riding it. I still stand in my garage and just stare at it. I just feel like the new wing just won't give me the same feeling when in the saddle.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm 68 years old with arthritis and my left hand doesn't pull in and hold the clutch as comfortably as it used too, so the new DCT is very appealing and despite my disappointment in the size I expect I will eventually buy a new Wing, although I'm not looking forward to the cost of the bike
and all the upgrades and add-ons I want, like I did to my 2012. I was going to sell my 2012 but could only get a fraction of what I've put into it so I expect I will keep it as a second bike. I guess we will have to see what the future holds. Bigger would be better, but I think it's only a dream.
Hi Ottoman, thanks for your reply, your Goldwing is beautiful and it's excactly the model I'm seraching for, hold off on buying the new DCT as long as you can in case they do another change in the 23/24 models, BTW the DCT is not as appealing as it sounds, it's a complete mindset change from using a clutch and I'm not convinced it's as safe as they say it is.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree wholeheartedly. I have had two '85 gL1200s and two GL1500s, have ridden multiple other later models and my all-time preference of all I've ridden, would be the GL1500s from 1996-2000.I have yet to ride anything that compares to the all-around comfort and rideability. The way I packed my 1500s made it weigh in at nearly 900, before I got aboard. I weigh about 185. at that gross weight I could still u-turn it within 20' circle. It was hard to get someone to understand how all that gross weight just disappeared as soon as you put your feet on the pegs. I could ride the 1500 from tank to tank and not be tired from riding. The biggest headache with the 1500 is the difficulty in changing the rear tire. What an ordeal!!!

Next, I could never understand why Honda never built a 1500 with fuel injection. Anyone have any explanation about that?
Be blessed, DT
Here's a thought, my mechanic created hinged doors inside ny left and right panniers, so easy to change pads and clean calipers without removing all the plastics, it's a real tidy job and who gets to see inside panniers anyway! it also allows him to change the rear wheel with less hassle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Guys, guys, guys! (And girls!) Don't under sell the DCT until you have some time on it. I swore I'd never own one but now I do. I have a little over 6K miles on it and I simply love it. It takes some getting used to, like using much more throttle to pull out than on a clutch model. I continue to be amazed at what this bike can do and how much fun it is to ride. It's way more fun that my 03, and I enjoyed the heck out of that one. It rides and handles like a sport bike while it has all the benefits of a touring bike. It's a great combo with no compromises, in my opinion. I have the '21 so I have a huge trunk that fits 2 full face helmets with communicators installed on the ride.

Disclaimer: I've been riding the street since 1977, initially on a Suzuki 750 Water Buffalo. What a bike that was!!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Respect to your preference, a person's taste for their motorcycle is a very personal thing as we all feel different connections to the nuts and bolts of what makes it special, I like many things about the Tourer but I definitely miss the impressive frontage of the Goldwing, restoring the trunk back to 61L is a great step to acknowledging the errors of Honda, maybe the front will be next, enjoy your bike, it sounds like you are having fun and that's what it's all about.

·
Registered
59 Posts
XBC, you are 100% correct. On the bike, I thought I'd miss the frontal area wind deflection due to the new "smaller" design. I haven't noticed more wind on me, but others ride differently, wear different clothes, ride in different climates, etc. It truly is a preference of only that individual rider. However, thinking a DCT might be suspect, without experience, is also just that; an opinion.

I am deeply involved in the aviation field. There are a ton of "old wives tales" with regard to "safely" operating airplanes. Many are very untrue, yet they are passed on from generation to generation as being the truth. Heck, flight instructors pass on some of these tales as if they are Gospel. What is the old saying? Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see! :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts