Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,726 Posts
my Flight Instructor told me during my first 5 hours or so, to have a landing site picked out at all times.

he always tells his student, land between the Trees, not in the trees.

This was in Hutchinson, KS where you have to fly for miles to find a tree, it is all Wheat fields.

well, one of his students had a Fuel Outage and the prop quit pulling him thru the air.

so what does he do?

He actually found two trees in the corner of a wheat field and landed the airplane neatly between them.

Problem? the trees took off both wings. they were too close together. o_O

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
XBC, you are 100% correct. On the bike, I thought I'd miss the frontal area wind deflection due to the new "smaller" design. I haven't noticed more wind on me, but others ride differently, wear different clothes, ride in different climates, etc. It truly is a preference of only that individual rider. However, thinking a DCT might be suspect, without experience, is also just that; an opinion.

I am deeply involved in the aviation field. There are a ton of "old wives tales" with regard to "safely" operating airplanes. Many are very untrue, yet they are passed on from generation to generation as being the truth. Heck, flight instructors pass on some of these tales as if they are Gospel. What is the old saying? Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see! :)
Hi Randy, I love your reply, thank you. I'm going for another spin on the new DCT model next week as I believe more than one spin is needed to make a final judgement, I'll share my thoughts sometime next week, I'm also riding my 1500 all weekend and my 1800 for 2 days before the DCT model so will have lots of comparisons. Another rider I know had the 2016 model and upgraded to the DCT and is in the process of selling the DCT (even though trunk was increased in size) and is buying another 2016 model, he said he just missed the big front. Loved the improvements all round but felt the size was a let down. Anyway, I'm my own rider and whatever decision I make will be for my own preference and style.:)

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,416 Posts
I've been touring a bit and I wouldn't mind having a DCT bike. But i like the protective fairings and the luggage capacity my 1800 has.
I don't want to trade down regarding those points. So Mother Honda make a DCT bike just like mine

·
Premium Member
2021 Tour
835 Posts
Definitely more side wind and no protection for your hands like older models. I have a f4 oversized( 2 inches wider ) and it still gets a bit too windy. All in all I like it . 2021 6 speed Tour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts, in a nutshell, Honda really messed up in the marketing department and totally misread the mood of Goldwing riders, the most important rule of marketing when creating change is not to alienate your current client base but acknowledge and retain their loyalty while cultivating a new client base, it's a delicate balancing act but it's one Honda has got drastically wrong, I like all the new technology but strike that balnce between old and new correctly and you are on a sure fire winner, and increasing the top box to 61L is a small step to rectifying the Goldwing to what it was and what it can be if someone in Honda actually listened properly. So for me it will be 2014 upwards secondhand prior to the terrible mis-step in 2018 from Honda for my daily commuting and touring for my 1500. Maybe someone in Honda actually reads comments and takes onboard constructive criticism and restore Goldwing to it's proper place in the market because other motorcycle makers are spotting this weakness in their strategy,but what do I know, I'm only a Goldwing rider for the last 30 years!!!!
I owned A V65 Magna and thought the world of that machine....now tons of miles later my 93 Aspencade has performed so incredibly well over the last 30,000 miles I could not think of a smaller machine. Thunderstorms in PA, rain and fog in Nova Scotia, torrential rain above Lake Huron....twisty curveys of the Tail...scraping pegs trying to keep up with my son on his cruiser...it's been amazing....
Owning 3 bikes??? Wow, what a guy

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
1,091 Posts
Back in the mid '90's a buddy of mine left me his V65 to do a servicing and to use while I had another friend from out of state visiting. My out of state friend drove my Suzuki 550 and I drove the V65. A much nicer bike than my Suzuki, and I hated to return the V65 two weeks later. But I continued to drive the Suzuki until 10 years later when I found GoldWings in 2002. And I kept the Suzuki until 2005...

I had my first 'Wing, a '77, for four years, sold it a year after getting a neglected 1100 on the road in '05, the has 1100 pulled me, Deb and the camper all over the country for many years and I still drive it. The best bike by far has been the 1500, it now has the "Road Trip" duty with trailer hitch, I still enjoy my 1100 but it is tired now and has the local and commute duty.

Never owned or ridden either a 1200 or any variety of 1800, I figure the 1200's to be pretty much same as the 1100' s regarding driving one, the 1200's with much more accessories etc, but more or less same bike.

I'm a tall guy, 36" inseam, has been said the riding position not so good for long legged guy on legacy 1800.

I've considered taking a new 1800 out for a test drive if a local dealer has a demo bike, curious about driving a DCT (for grins if nothing else), but considering the cost, my age, and the fact that I love the 1500 I doubt the dealer could talk me into buying one. Besides, my style is to 'tour' the curvy roads and enjoy the scenery instead of burning the curves. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
To those mentioning not wanting to lose the baggage capacity from the 1800 to the 2021 and newer: I don't think the bags are smaller on my 2021 than my former 2003 1800. The trunk is certainly not smaller 21 to 03. I don't have a side-by-side comparison on the saddle bags tho. I do a few out of state booze runs per year. I carry the same amount in the 21 is I did the 03 and I fill 'er up!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So as promised, my week of riding 3 different generation Goldwings, the Goldwing Tourer is a fine machine but it's just too small, now it did take a bit of getting used to but the DCT is ok but I'm old school and it's clutch for me, it was difficult to do town riding and filtering and it felt just more like a scooter, I think the smoothness and the different driving modes are great and I like the dash, the suspension is mighty, if they could put all the brilliant things into a 1500 frame and body style now that would be a bike!! Have to say the wind is an issue we had 100kph winds this week tail end of hurricane Daniel I think and I didn't feel safe and was buffeted a bit, that just doesn't happen on the 1500 and the 1800, I speak from experience here as I've ridden the 1800 in 130kph gusts quite frequently still buffeted but I think the DCT wouldn't stand up to that strenght of wind, the 1800 is also a great bike has great poke and is very smooth there isn't an awful lot wrong with the 1800 except the earlier models are just plum ugly but when they changed the back to resemble the 1500 and the front was more defined in how it's lines were presented it became a very nice motorcycle, so I finally rode my 1500, it's not as fast, it is heavier when you are not moving, it doesn't have all the fancy bells and whistles but overall it's my favourite, it commands respect, it looks great and if I could get all the best parts of the 1800 and the DCT built into a new 2023 1500 (wishful thinking) I would buy one in the morning as it stands I will never buy the new model Goldwing as it's just too small at the front but I will buy a 2014 to 2017 1800 to replace my 08 1800, anyway as I said at the very start of the thread every goldwing rider has their own preference and style and that's what is great about motorcycling because if we were all the same it would be awfully boring! Happy riding to you all on whatever goldwing model rocks your world, my world is rocked by my 1500, the best Honda has done in my eyes and I'm speaking from over 30 years riding Goldwings.

·
Registered
912 Posts
[QUOTE="don d. thornton, post: 5981729, member: 308752"

Next, I could never understand why Honda never built a 1500 with fuel injection. Anyone have any explanation about that?
Be blessed, DT
[/QUOTE]

Cost, and the environmental regulations allowed a loop hole. Having mentioned this, the design of the 1500 carburetion system is to emulate a FI system, and does a good job of it. Environmental legislation caught up with the Gold Wing hence the 1800s having FI from the get go.

I'm with Bike and Dennis, a new, redesigned '85/'86 1200 Gold Wing would be the ticket.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi all, As promised a photo of the inside of my pannier where my mechanic cut a door on the inside for easy acess for doing work on the back of the bike to save on lifting the trunk and panniers, may not be everybody's cup of tea however it works for me. Happy riding everyone.
Hood Motor vehicle Black Automotive lighting Bumper
Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system

21 - 34 of 34 Posts