Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can someone please explain the purpose of the Sub Air Filter (System). Where does the air go, what does it do, and what part of the bike does it affect?

I have a 1988 GL1500 which had the usual hesitation on accellerating from low revs. Put a 4 deg trigger wheel on it and that made a big difference but the hesitation was still there.

Have just replaced the Sub Air Filter after the old one fell apart in my hands when I took it out to clean it. When I got it back together there seems to be a big improvement when accellerating from low revs.

Would the Sub Air Filter be related to this? The manual doesn't explain its function - just how to service it.

Thanks,

Al

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hesitation at low revs on a 1500 is almost always caused by out of synch carbs (they need balancing every 5000 miles). If the bike is an 88-89 model it can also be caused by sticking carb sliders. I think there was a service bulletin for this in the early days. Thesub filter would have only a marginal effect on this.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

alanz wrote:
Can someone please explain the purpose of the Sub Air Filter (System). Where does the air go, what does it do, and what part of the bike does it affect?

Thanks,

Al
This is going to scandalize REDWING, but I don't know either. I'm going to have to take a look at the thing next time I can get off the bike long enough.

:stumped:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.