Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I bought the 99 Aspencade a couple months ago. It had 44,000 miles.

It was a bouncy ball and did not stop.

I took some advice here. I replaced all the brake pads with EBC HH. I replaced the lines with steel braided except I have not found the one for rear that goes over the swing arm. I flushed he brake fluid. I did a little work on the front calipers, they were moving around quite a bit.

Bike now stops great!

I replaced the rear shocks with Progressive 412.
I rebuilt the forks with new springs and Race Tech Gold valves.
I replaced the steering head bearings.

After a few (3) adjustments to the forks and Re torquing the steering head bearings, the bike is great.
Bumps just get swallowed up by the big bike. Corners are stable and planted. I feel secure entering a corner at a good speed.

For the fork adjustments,. First I slid the forks up 8 mm in the triple head. I rode the bike and it seemed the front was too soft.
Then I thought it would not get complete travel. SO I put them back where they belong and added 1/2 turn to the fork valves.

I needed 4 PSI in the forks to get 45 mm sag with me on the bike. Like that, the bike was too tall.so I left them at zero. This gave me 57 mm sag. Too much.

It bottomed out the front once on a 3 day trip to the Adirondacks with my wife.
I took the valves out to put them back to stock. While they were out, I pushed the forks up all the way. I then set the forks
again at 8mm and still had a little room for full travel. I again added the 4 psi. All is well, I can reach the ground with my feet. Sag is 45 mm. I measured 133 mm full travel not counting the top out spring travel. I also added 20 ml extra fork oil in each side to help with bottoming.

I have put 2,000 miles on it and there is nothing left to fix.

It runs great, does not use any oil and my wife just loves it.
Yesterday we took it to Dansville in the pouring rain.

Thanks for the help
David

Top of Whiteface Mountain.

5B9B85EE-0895-4C0B-9927-2045472AC3FC.jpeg

·
Administrator
25,781 Posts
Glad you got it like you want it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,307 Posts
it is really nice, when you finally get every thing tuned like you want it.
enjoy

·
Registered
756 Posts
Many years of miles and smiles to come...... :)

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
You might want to consider adding Passenger Arm Rests for your co-rider. That would be considerably more comfortable for her....!

I had a 1999 Gold Wing SE with Passenger Arm Rests for my co-rider. They do make a big difference especially on longer rides.

My '99 had 222,905 miles when sold, you have a lot of good miles left in your bike....!!

Your bike had "Tapered" steering stem bearings. Very surprised they needed to be changed at such low mileage....!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When on the center stand, it would detent to the center. I had it apart, so for less than $50.00. Again piece of mind. I had a Suzuki GS650G that had tapered roller bearings seize up. They were never greased from new. I had to see the bearings and grease them anyhow.
I asked the wife if she wanted arm rests. She was wondering if it made it harder to get on and off.

David

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,307 Posts
I have had two sets of arm rests, don't know what brand.

both of them would swivel out 90 degrees and made it easy for the pillion rider to get on

·
Registered
352 Posts
People have this idea that taper rollers are the best thing since sliced bread, true if its a rolling bearing like in a wheel or gearbox shaft but not so in headraces.
Most of the time the forks point straight ahead and a maximum rotation of 20 ish degrees each way so the roller is still a static point load contact on the race, admittedley the roller is longer than a ball bearing is round but its still a point contact so indents the race and you get the self centering

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
My 1500 had arm rests when I bought it. Wife didn't like them. Made me remove them. Said they made her feel too inclosed.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
No issues getting on and off with Arm Rests.....!! Take a long long trip, she will notice a difference in "Shoulder" comfort....!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
People have this idea that taper rollers are the best thing since sliced bread, true if its a rolling bearing like in a wheel or gearbox shaft but not so in headraces.
Most of the time the forks point straight ahead and a maximum rotation of 20 ish degrees each way so the roller is still a static point load contact on the race, admittedley the roller is longer than a ball bearing is round but its still a point contact so indents the race and you get the self centering
It was a selling point in 1981. Honda previously had bushing problems in the swing arm. Suzuki had tapered roller bearings in the swing arm and steering head. I though it was a great idea at the time. I took it back after 3,000 miles. I said it was loose. They "Adjusted" them. They tightened the collar a little. I took it back in another few thousand miles. I could feel it shucking when I used the "TWIN DISC" front brakes. They told me it was seating. I told them Tapered roller bearings don't seat. They said the frame was dipped and the races were pushing the paint away. At 8,000 miles on my way home from work it tightened right up. I pulled over. worked the steering back and forth enough to get it home. I pulled it apart immediately. The bearings were rusted. There was no grease.

David

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
It was a selling point in 1981. Honda previously had bushing problems in the swing arm. Suzuki had tapered roller bearings in the swing arm and steering head. I though it was a great idea at the time. I took it back after 3,000 miles. I said it was loose. They "Adjusted" them. They tightened the collar a little. I took it back in another few thousand miles. I could feel it shucking when I used the "TWIN DISC" front brakes. They told me it was seating. I told them Tapered roller bearings don't seat. They said the frame was dipped and the races were pushing the paint away. At 8,000 miles on my way home from work it tightened right up. I pulled over. worked the steering back and forth enough to get it home. I pulled it apart immediately. The bearings were rusted. There was no grease.

David
Say What........!!

They are to be seated properly when installed...BTDT....:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts