Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Nothing like doing a job and it turns out all good. :cool:

I changed the belts today and she purrs like a kitty. Thanks to referring to Rudy's proceedure it's not a bad job at all. I had experience from doing my '77 a few years ago too. There are just 2 items I thought would be of help to add.

In Rudy's instructions he states the fact to make sure you replace the "Pulse Generaters" correctly,,,,, not to get them mixed up. So I just marked them before I removed them.

I took a pic, cause I know how I can confuse folks:gunhead:

"T" for top,,,,,,, and "B" for bottom pulse gen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Nice tip.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

And then there is the silly clip that holds the wires back.

Remember to replace this clip with the pulse generator before replacing the tension pully.

Took me a few minutes to fugure that one out:doh:

Hope you can see it, tryed pointing it out with an ink pen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I did mine on Saturday as well. Runs like a champ. Thanks Mr. Forum Ferret. A little nerve-racking getting ready to push the "go" button for the first time. The instructions said to rotate the crank twice, I did it like 6-7 times just to make sure, :D

I figured while I had it apart, I'd change coolant, fuel filter, oil, install my battery tender plug, plug for heated gloves, ipod input, etc. It's still apart in the garage, only oil and ipod input left to do. Waiting for an above 40 degree day to finish.

Thanks again for the wonderful forum...

Bill

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Nice tip. Mind if I add it to the guide?

Also I'll add an underline on the edge facing the trigger wheel. Had one guy mount at least one of them face out. That gave him some confusion for a while.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Rudy wrote:

Also I'll add an underline on the edge facing the trigger wheel. Had one guy mount at least one of them face out. That gave him some confusion for a while.
Your guide really is a top notch write up for sure Rudy. NOt much room for improvement.

But I would be HONORED to have contribute in your guide. Absolutely feel free to use it.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:

I think that was me....... if it can be done wrong, it'll be me that does it!

And you're right, Winger, his guide is excellent. Rudy, why don't you buy an Honda ST1300 now and write a guide for it. I'll need help soon.....

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Rudy wrote:

I think that was me....... if it can be done wrong, it'll be me that does it!

And you're right, Winger, his guide is excellent. Rudy, why don't you buy an Honda ST1300 now and write a guide for it. I'll need help soon.....
Uhhh CJ... I don't think you are supposed to admit that. :gunhead: Them new britches you are wearing must be a little too tight in places. :dude:

I can only work on bikes that can hold me up. :cooldevil: And I already have a CX that won't seem to leave.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

My britches have always been tight, Rudy...... Freak of Nature, I is....Freak of Nature...

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Nothing like doing a job and it turns out all good. :cool:

I wouldn't know, lad.... I just wouldn't know......

:(:(

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

This advice to mark parts before any disassembly is a great tip to any job. I used a magic marker to mark the pulleys on my GL1100 before removing the belts.

I could only add that a photo taken might help too if not found in a manual.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
This advice to mark parts before any disassembly is a great tip to any job. I used a magic marker to mark the pulleys on my GL1100 before removing the belts.

There's a manual??? :baffled:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
sandcastcb750 wrote:

There's a manual??? :baffled:
Must be the one that you are printing.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the timing belts were a turning this past weekend. I did mine also with great success due to this forum and especially Rudy. THANKS!

I too am an advocate of marking things. I marked the plug wires when I took them off. I had a buddy install the new plugs while I rebuilt the petcock and installed the new fuel filter. Finally got it all back together and cranked it over......sputters and farts....my heart sank. Went through everything hoping to find something I forgot and noticed that one of the plugs wires just wasn'tsitting right....looked at the numbering and WOOOHOOOO! Swapped them around and it purred like a kitten. Thought I was going to have to tear it all apart again. Love my Sharpies!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

It was a weekend for belts. Did my on my 1200, and here's another tip. This was my first time, and I was lucky enough to live close to one of the members WDA333. I just rode over to his house and he helped me through it. So...all you novices like me, don't be afraid of asking for help. You will find this to be a great forum with knowledgeable and helpful members.

A big thanks to WDA, without him it would have been a long trial and error task for me....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.