Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well after two days here is what i have done.
Removed bags and trunk,Remove rear wheel inspect drive splines, Drain, flush refill finaldrive. Wash wheelClean inspect and relube drive splines,reinstall rear wheel. Wash baggs & trunk,wash all brackets and wax to prevent rust. Reinstall said bags and trunk.
Drain all brakefluid and flush with fresh fluid fix broken brake line. Bleed brakes and they all work fine.
Drain antifreeze,remove timing covers, change timing belts. Reinstall timing covers and radiator, Fill with fresh antifreeze. Remove front wheel inspect front wheel bearings and reinstall. Change oil filter and fill with fresh oil. Spin engine over till the oil pressure light goes out.
Put a couple gallons fresh fuel in it and start it up. Took alittle coxing but engine firedup
Watched mouse house blow out if exaust hehe.Check stator output at idle. 14.67V
stator is in good shape.
With her idleing put in first she dies
clutch plates are stuck
Put in first start her up and start working the clutch and brake. Clutch plates brake loose
Shifting now works fine.
Rode around block YEAHHHHHHHH

Sunday will spend day washing and waxing and shining
Then drive the car to work

Monday go to DMV transfer title license her.Stop by DOL and get licenedCome home call insurance company and get leagle.

Not to bad for an 86I setting 4 years with under12k showing. IMHO anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Hi Patinldaho

Well done, I don't know much about the 86 GL1200 interstate, but never the less, I know the feeling when you service your machine your self. I with the help of the Guru's and Redwing got my 1500 serviced I learnt so much, to be honest I was very apprehensive about tackling the job, but I really enjoyed it. I have just got back from a 350 mile trip and the bike ran like a dream.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
Well done, with the help of the Guru's and Redwing got my 1500 serviced. I have just got back from a 350 mile trip and the bike ran like a dream.
Hey manxblackcat :waving:There must be another Redwing on this forum, because i wouldn't be able to help anyone. :stumped: Where could you complete 350 miles on the Isle of Man. :crying: You must have been going around and around and around. Did you not get dizzy.? :stumped:

P.S. Congrats on your promotion to "Very Active Member"

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the comments.

I actually enjoy the wrenchin on my own stuff and for a few friends.

So it's a labor of love makes it real easy to do.

Pat

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

PatinIdaho wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

I actually enjoy the wrenchin on my own stuff and for a few friends.

So it's a labor of love makes it real easy to do.

Pat
I'm impressed with the amount of work you accomplished in two days! I'm afraid I tend to be a bit more leisurely. Good feeling to get her going though, can't get that from turning the bike over to a shop.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I am more than impressed.

But then I sit and study each screw, nut and bolt. Read the history of each wee piece and research as much as I can about it's function .....Actually means I investigate far more than I fix!!

Then when I break down, I can knowledgably tell you why!!

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I might have a small advantage.

I grewup playing in a semi repair shop my dad owned and around 8 years old got handed a grease gun and shownwhat to do with it.I think cuz when your 8 your free labor;) At 13 i rebuilt my first Detroit diesel. I have rebuilt so many car and truck engines & transmissions it must be near a couple thousand not to mention all the tuneups and maintenance. Bad thing is after growing up with it now i HATE working on stuff for people and dont do it anymore exept for myself and a few friends.

Cant imagine what all i listed andforgot tolist would have cost me in a shop but im sure BIG dollars sense they have the manuals and i just had to use know how.

Pat

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear the bike is working well for you. After I finish the timing belts and coolant I should be caught up with you. I still have a month before the roads are snow and ice free so I am taking my time. Plus, I've never taken anything mechanical apart before so I go a bit slower from the get-go.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Cant think of a better way to wait for the roads to clear then working on the wing:D

Pat

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

PatinIdaho wrote:
now i HATE working on stuff for people and dont do it anymore exept for myself and a few friends.

I know what you mean Pat I was a mechanic for a long time to you end up with friends didnt even have lol

good job on the wing

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

shoot redwing we can ride couple thousand in straight line come ride with us

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.