Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...But it took longer than expected. Followed thoroughly the video and tutorial from a link sent to me from another member on this site. It went fairly smooth and just like advertised. The right cam shaft jumped when the belt tension was taken off. When all was said and done, everything was lined up just like the factory except the left cam was maybe half a cog from being dead on. Set the tension with some help from a friend, just getting his opinion as well on it and just laying a finger on the belt the deflection was about 5mm. I didn't push down hard on it, not trying to test a fan belt. That was actually the easiest part of the day.
While in there, I tested the water pump splines for lateral movement. I was surprised to find that it's not the original water pump. The splines were metal, not plastic and they didn't move. so all is good there. Hopefully, it's an OEM pump. Putting things back together proved a challenge though. The O-ring on the gooseneck was compressed and distorted. I tried to clean it up and the groove it was in and reuse it but it just leaked with no pressure. As usual, the local stealer doesn't carry any parts and expects me to make two trips and wait a week to get it. Nope. Went to Ace in their plumbing dept and matched up an O-ring and got past that hurdle for $.59.
Then, it was the BadBoy horn installation. Pretty easy and straight forward. But I didn't take out the old horns and where I placed the new one didn't allow for both when attempting to put the left side tupperware back on. Ended up having to remove the left stock horn. That's ok because the Wolo outblasts them anyway, quite loud :jumper:.
Then there was the plugs. I pulled them to facilitate hand turning the crank and I wanted to inspect them anyway. This is the funny part. They were splitfires :wtf:. Not only that but when they were removed, the center shaft pulled right out of the porcelain and were rusty :shock: Really, who uses these, anyway?
Needless to say another trip to AutoZone and netted 4 of the NGKs that should've been there in the first place.
Time to fire her up, first time since November. It actually started up easy with a little choke. But I could tell she didn't like the gas in there. Probably pure corn on the bottom of the tank cuz ya can't get anything else around here. :lash: . Let it get up to temp and no leaks anywhere. Shut it off. Turned the key back on and nothing. But the clock was on in ACC position. Turn to on and nothing. Thought about it for a second and grabbed the factory kluge at the battery for the starter relay and it came to life. So, I now have a new project which I should've already fixed and that's to remove the dogbone blasphemy there and fix it properly. By the time I got it all buttoned up it was 6:00 and I started at 10:30, no time for a ride, and it was getting cold with a storm rolling in.
The condition of the factory belts were actually pretty good for a couple of 27 year olds. But I still wouldn't trust em. I learned a lot from this and now know more about my bike than I did. Another unknown deleted with experience.
I would never have attempted this if it weren't for you guys on this forum. You instill confidence where I have trepidation. Thanks for all your help. And the beer after tasted really good.:claps:

Oh, someone mentioned that they would buy my old waterpump if I changed it. No need to so, nothing to sell here.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Right on its nice to get the info and pull off a never done before.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The worst thing about working on it all day and it being 50deg outside was every 10 min or so a biker would go by on the street bordering my back yard. I just looked longingly at them while holding my wrench:sad:
Some of them didn't sound too good, like they needed to be doing what I was doing, but no they decided to ride instead. Fools. They missed on the pleasure of wasting a great riding day to do preventive maintenance :?. I was much happier working on it than riding it :ROFL:. I lie a lot, too. But hey, more fun when I change out the dogbone garbage at the battery-better than riding :rollingeyes:

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
The worst thing about working on it all day and it being 50deg outside was every 10 min or so a biker would go by on the street bordering my back yard. I just looked longingly at them while holding my wrench:sad:
Some of them didn't sound too good, like they needed to be doing what I was doing, but no they decided to ride instead. Fools. They missed on the pleasure of wasting a great riding day to do preventive maintenance :?. I was much happier working on it than riding it :ROFL:. I lie a lot, too. But hey, more fun when I change out the dogbone garbage at the battery-better than riding :rollingeyes:
I live in Harley Heaven, seems I spend most of my time wishing i wasn't fixing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.