Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's not that I'm old, it's just that I no longer have to worry about dying as a young man!

And so I just downloaded "1000 Places To See Before You Die" on my hot little Kindle; time again for some serious bucket list planning. I have been fortunate and have seen a lot, seen a lot...but there's much more out there! Much more! The motorcycle is a dream machine, and if you're willing to pay the price of riding one in terms of risk and danger -- the payoffs are enormous in terms of low-cost travel and discovery....

In my case, three long motorcycle tours would just about do it: (1.) a "Great Circle Tour" of Europe (already did an 8-weeker there) -- Spain, Portugal, UK, Ireland, Scandinavia, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece; (2.) The Pan-American (Alaska to the tip of South America...done the northern part), and (3.) Trans-Africa, South to North.....

I may not realize all of this list, not at my age, but if I don't dream I won't realize any of it...right? So, time to get down to serious work, and pare away the parts of my life that no longer leads to these goals.... rifle competitions, ski patrol, and some other "dressings" to my life may have to go, but that's what a "true conflict" is -- wanting two things that are impossible to have together, and the real work of life is to manage "true conflicts." Red, however, is never part of a true conflict; she is primary, and second to nothing on my dream sheet. If I can't have it with Red, then I don't want it.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Your a true inspiration Cj, a true inspiration...

You should incorporate in you journeys, all the things you like to do. Start at home, CC skiing across the snowy states, have your bike shipped to a point ahead, ride for a while, canoe a several hundred miles (again, ship the bike ahead) and hike the Appalachian trail..... and so on. This is only an example, not your actual path of course.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

If you're not too freaked out about riding/driving on the wrong side of the road (like I am), I'd recommend a loop thru Australia. I had the good fortune of doing a several week long joint exercise with the military over there. I came away mighty impressed by the Aussie experience. People that've been to New Zealand often say, even better (not to offend the Aussies here BTW). Kind of like Canada in that there's such great distances between major centres.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

My fist day of retirement thinking very similiar thoughts sitting here reading your topic. If I don't plan it I won't accomplish it. If I don't dream it I won't want it. Who I choose to share it with is why I've come this far and I know she drives my purpose! Do what brings pleasure to both of your lives. Bill

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I didn't see Marblemount on that list.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Does this mean you gave up ski patrol this year?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

4evermetric wrote:
No.... I'm patrolling....going to Europe this summer.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I am doing my bucket list. I need to eat some sea food in the French Quarter, pee in the Alamo and ride the 3 sisters. Leaving on Dec. 6th. About 7,500 miles worth.

Should be fun.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

larryinseattle wrote:
I am doing my bucket list. I need to eat some sea food in the French Quarter, pee in the Alamo and ride the 3 sisters. Leaving on Dec. 6th. About 7,500 miles worth.

Should be fun.

Do you have the names and numbers of the sisters?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Age and Finances dictate my buckets list right now. Age and Financeshave no bearing on my dreams though, you can believe that.

I'll do the Bolivian Death Road in the Andies oneday. You can believe that too.

I dream it happening when there's no forethought of it at bed-time. It's gotta happen..

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
It's not that I'm old, it's just that I no longer have to worry about dying as a young man!

And so I just downloaded "1000 Places To See Before You Die" on my hot little Kindle; time again for some serious bucket list planning. I have been fortunate and have seen a lot, seen a lot...but there's much more out there! Much more! The motorcycle is a dream machine, and if you're willing to pay the price of riding one in terms of risk and danger -- the payoffs are enormous in terms of low-cost travel and discovery....

In my case, three long motorcycle tours would just about do it: (1.) a "Great Circle Tour" of Europe (already did an 8-weeker there) -- Spain, Portugal, UK, Ireland, Scandinavia, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece; (2.) The Pan-American (Alaska to the tip of South America...done the northern part), and (3.) Trans-Africa, South to North.....

I may not realize all of this list, not at my age, but if I don't dream I won't realize any of it...right? So, time to get down to serious work, and pare away the parts of my life that no longer leads to these goals.... rifle competitions, ski patrol, and some other "dressings" to my life may have to go, but that's what a "true conflict" is -- wanting two things that are impossible to have together, and the real work of life is to manage "true conflicts." Red, however, is never part of a true conflict; she is primary, and second to nothing on my dream sheet. If I can't have it with Red, then I don't want it.
Very well written words there Mister and you are correct in so many ways. I am doing the same thing, the exact smae thing as a matter of fact. My trips might not have the same destinations but trips nevertheless. I fly for free worldwide and can go anywhere I want anytime I want to go there. I have seen most of this world from above and it is time to see some of it from my bike. I am gearing up right now and is planning my two big trips; one around the US, and the following year to Europe with the North Cape as one of the stops. I refuse to drag a trailer and require comfort so I am listening very carefully to Dusty Boots recomendations and are testing it out as I am building my arsenal of gear.

One thing I must caution you about is Africa. I fly there on a regular basis and have done some exploring over there. It is not a place I would recommend to anybody. It might sound romantic and challenging but the facts about this place is far from romantic and extremely challenging would not even start to describe it. Just make sure you plan this trip in details and check all laws and regulations as well as local political disturbances before you leave, and bring enough $$$ to feed the corruption over there.

Like I expect you to do, I will also post pictures and keep this site updated on my great adventure.

Be safe.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

JamesGang wrote:
larryinseattle wrote:

Should be fun.

Do you have the names and numbers of the sisters?
Yep, 335,336 and 337....The Twisted Sisters. I did 'em and they are really fun.

BUT, pee in the Alamo? Really?I am speechless!

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
4evermetric wrote:
When you do, don't miss out on Switzerland my friend, prettiest place on the whole Continent, the experience of standing in Downtown Interlaken and looking up at Jungfrauis etched in my memory, we took a glass toppedtrain from Geneva (or was it Berne)in late May, the most mind bogglingly beautiful countryside I've ever seen in my whole life.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

chilidawg wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
4evermetric wrote:
When you do, don't miss out on Switzerland my friend, prettiest place on the whole Continent, the experience of standing in Downtown Interlaken and and looking up at Jungfrau are etched in my memory, we took a glass topped train from Geneva (or was it Berne) in late May, the most mind bogglingly beautiful countryside I've ever seen in my whole life.   
Done did it! 2004! :ROFL: We set up a VW van base camp at a lakeside campground at Interlaken for ten days, went to Thun and rented a Honda Silverwing, did Susten, Firka, Grimsel, and Oberalp passes -- as well as some others -- and generally had some of the best riding of our lives. That experience is chiefly what is driving us to go back....wanna do the rest of the Alpine Passes, the Italian Dolomites, the Spanish Pyrenees, and whatever we can bag in eight weeks..... If you haven't ridden in the Alps, they should be on everyone's bucket lists, especially the bucket lists of motorcyclists. We have a lot of good roads here, but...the Alps....the Alps....the Alps! Gawdamighty! The Alps!

Swiss Valley.....

At the summit of Susten Pass....

Swiss riding buddies on the summit of Grimsel Pass......

·
1,211 Posts
imported post

Should've known Jack, if anyone would've done it, you would!!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
4evermetric wrote:
Please Red! Make damn well sure you guys go when the Isle of Mann is held. Should be very high on anyones MC bucket list.

http://www.ttwebsite.com/history/

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
imported post

scotterichmond wrote:
I didn't see Marblemount on that list.
I already have been to Marblemount, but it was a long time ago. Would love to go back and do the Northern Cascades pass.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Dan Kelly wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
4evermetric wrote:
Please Red!  Make damn well sure you guys go when the Isle of Mann is held.  Should be very high on anyones MC bucket list.

Won't be there during the Tourist Time Trial (Red's a schoolie), but could be there during the Grand Prix, but it's probably too late to book lodgings....we'll see....

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Dan Kelly wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
4evermetric wrote:
Please Red! Make damn well sure you guys go when the Isle of Mann is held. Should be very high on anyones MC bucket list.

Won't be there during the Tourist Time Trial (Red's a schoolie), but could be there during the Grand Prix, but it's probably too late to book lodgings....we'll see....
Noproblem! Red finishes her year early so she can begin documenting the trip for next years classes. And there's plenty of open land on that island to camp.

Let's see. Early dismissal from work; check. Lodging concerns covered; check.

(But, you folks already have a departure date booked I imagine. Oh well.)

·
1,211 Posts
imported post

All you got to do Jack is go to the "adult" Isle of Man races, the Manx GP, happens every year in early September (when Red is off), and anyway you can both wait till ya'all are both retired for this, you'll fit right in! Same lunatic racers, same kind've crowdbut fewer of them,exceptmuch more civilized and no Mad Sunday, that I'm aware off!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.