Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Every onceawhile I'll walk outside -- wearing my stupid pillow sling because of my stupid rotator cuff repair -- and stand looking at my two bikes..... an ST1300 and a KLR 650, both all snuggled up under their covers and sucking off battery maintainers, two beauties I won't be able to ride for at least 3 months or so..... damn!

It's like lying chained up hand and foot in bedbetween two Reds! Cruel and unusual punishment! These next few months are gonna be hard for CJ.... damn hard!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hey CJ: I had rotor cuff surgery two years ago. I could not even lift a coffee cup.

They told me it would be 3 or 4 months too. Hey I have to work, I have no health insurance, if I do not work, I do not get paid. No one else is going to pay the bills.

So I got a section of surgical tubing at Lowes and nailed it to my work bench, and at first twice a day I would do only about ten pulls on that thing forward, backward, sideways , yea it hurt, bring tears to your eyes, but I kept at it and in two weeks I could do a hundred, I went back to work in 8 days, I had to be careful not to overdue it , but in one month it was all done.

You might ask the doc if exercise will help, everyone is different, surgeries are different, many factors, but that is how I got back into things fairly quickly.

Kit

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Every onceawhile I'll walk outside -- wearing my stupid pillow sling because of my stupid rotator cuff repair -- and stand looking at my two bikes..... an ST1300 and a KLR 650, both all snuggled up under their covers and sucking off battery maintainers, two beauties I won't be able to ride for at least 3 months or so..... damn!

It's like lying chained up hand and foot in bedbetween two Reds! Cruel and unusual punishment! These next few months are gonna be hard for CJ.... damn hard!

Why you would want to be chained up hand and foot in bedbetween two Reds is beyond me, but to each is own,

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

You have one good arm yet,,,, so I would think by the end of 3 months, both those bikes should look pretty darn shiny :cool:.

I hope you heal quickly and able to cut up the twisties this season CJ. Just don't do anything sillythat might prolong the healing. We all want to hear a bedtime story while sitting around the camp fire in Montrose;)

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Matt G wrote:
Now why would those Russkies be trotting around waving SKSs about, instead of AKs ?? I guess things are tough all over. :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

You can find different weights of those surgical bands, they are different colors. Use a lighter one first and then work up to the heavier one.

The saying "No Pain, No Gain" is a no go as far as the physiotherapists are concerned.

About six weeks after the op, start lightly, warm the shoulder up first with a heating pad. Do your prescribed exersizes and then cool of the shoulder with ice packs to prevent swelling.
You will be surprised how soon you will be back in order.
Give the shoulder a day off every other day

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

CJ,
I have had both shoulders done, do your therapy properly and you should be ridin before summer.
Enjoy!!

John

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

I tore loose the end of my collar bone in my right shoulder playing back yard football and the VA put it in a sling and told me I couldn't work for 6 months. I went to a real orthopedic surgeon and he said get rid of the sling and get on with it, carefully, and I was back working full speed in a week. The VA doctors told me they would have to remove my collar bone.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Matt G wrote:
Why you would want to be chained up hand and foot in bedbetween two Reds is beyond me, but to each is own,

Hah! My Red doesn't look like these guys at all...... even though I own an SKS.... she's the lady below!
uh.... thanks for the advice, fellows, but the Doc tacked it to the bone with biodegradable anchors, @ up to $8K apiece! To stress it too soon runs the risk of poppin' that spendy little anchor out..... plus the pain and misery of another surgery.... no, thanks... I'll wait!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Hell, if given the coice between being operated on, and being chained up between two Reds, I'd take the chains in less than a heartbeat!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Damn CJ, again I say, there is not any choice here, need I say more, Red is the color, winner, ........ :D enjoy while you can, write more.;)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

CJ, I have been where you are at three times myself and speak with a little of the "I got the Tshirt" experience. I had my last rotator cuff anchor surgery back last May and I am back to riding, but am no where near back to 75% strength yet. It took me years to get back to 100% strength on my right shoulder and also two surgeries as well.

Anchor surgery is a lot harder to heal from than the tears higher up on the cuff. It takes longer for the bone to heal than the cuff itself so plan on taking your time and letting it tell you when you are ready. I went back to work way too soon and tore mine out away from the bone because of it and had to have the second surgery on my right shoulder. From the time I first tore it to the time I had my second surgery and could lay down on my right side was 4 years. So take it slow and let yourself heal up before you get back on the bikes.

Now, I have diabetes and heal slower than most, but age does make a difference when it comes to healing and folks all heal differently than others. I had to retire from the fire dept back when I tore my right shoulder up because I never could get my range of motion back and tore it up worse because I pushed it. Take your time and relax and let Red take care of you!!!!

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
imported post

Like KbO0u said:
Do your therapy properly and you should be ridin soon enough. I had my left cuff done & did the different colored bands each & every day & it will get better!!! I also had a rope & pulley that went over the door top so I could GENTLY move it up & down It actually made it feel better to strech it. Good Luck

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Jack........ your body will tell you what you can do. My dad had the same thing done, he waited about 10 days and started therapy with bungee cords. Different types and strengths. Start slow and build up..... and do what you can. You will get stronger as time and your body permits. I too, think you will be rock'in and roll'in in a month or so.........

God's speed in a safe a quick recovery.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Hey CJ, how about a story, Red?

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

WhatI find interesting is how long they tell the average person to sit on the bench and how fast theycan get them back to work when they get paid a couple of hundred thousanddollars a day to run around on astro turf.

Check out the local sports med clinics.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

CJ Keep on the mend - I'd love to meet you and ride a bit if we can when Penny and I come thru WA in late July - if you stay true to your regimen you should be riding by then I'd think. Having just gone through the "Iwannaberidingnownownow" syndrome - I can empathize with your situation - but all is good on the otherside and you'll be happier the healthier you let yourself become so relax, the roads will be there - probably even some new ones by then.

Best wishes for a full and speediest recovery.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Blackdog wrote:
CJ Keep on the mend - I'd love to meet you and ride a bit if we can when Penny and I come thru WA in late July - if you stay true to your regimen you should be riding by then I'd think. Having just gone through the "Iwannaberidingnownownow" syndrome - I can empathize with your situation - but all is good on the otherside and you'll be happier the healthier you let yourself become so relax, the roads will be there - probably even some new ones by then.

Best wishes for a full and speediest recovery.
Yup... been through this before with the other arm.... and I definitely plan on being on the bike by July!

Count on us in July... keep in touch.... Red and I have a three pass loop we ride that'll make you cry!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.