Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

First off, it's a 1983 GL1100 Interstate, just had the carbs synched in the last 50 miles (though that was about three months ago). Got 20,000 miles on it, and prior to this it ran great.

Just got the old girl back together! I occasionally started the bike during my repaint/rebuild, and the idle was always steady, seemed to me to be around 925-950, give or take. Well, I got the wheels on, most of the plastic, etc., and decided to clean the mud and such from around the engine, as well as wash off a lot of the crud under the seat and behind where the saddlebags usually sit.

So, I break out my citrus (orange) degreaser, spray down the engine and the area under the seat, and used a parts brush to gently scrub away the stuff under the seat (never scrubbed the engine areas). I then used a garden type sprayer to rinse off with. This is one of those plastic jugs that you put water in, then use the handle to pump up the air pressure. Maxes out at maybe 5psi. Anyway...

Now my idle is around 1050-1100, and regardless of warm-up time stays there, and I can watch the needle jump about. The bike runs fine at speed, although I do know my valves need to be adjusted (they're tapping a bit).

So, what have I done here? I didn't spray any of the electricals under the false tank (which was also off at the time), and the only electrical under the seat seems to be the fuel tank sender unit. Fuel gauge works fine. I did a quick cursory of the hoses and such in the carb area, but didn't see anything.

Thanks for any help, gentlemen!

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Jack, you might have got water on the coils (under the tank and above the engine) You will need to get an air hose and blow around them or even spray some WD40 to dispel any water out.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Jason wrote:
Jack, you might have got water on the coils (under the tank and above the engine) You will need to get an air hose and blow around them or even spray some WD40 to dispel any water out.
Thanks! Will try that. It's very possible that I did do that...may have been too aggressive. Anyone else actually wash their frame below the seat pan? :)

Jack

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

GAWD I have even waxed it:?But a clean bike makes for a happy pat

Pat

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I perfer to use a cloth and some petrol to wipe the area under the saddle. Just a small amount so it won't harm any plastic, then I spray ignition sealer on all the area including electrics. That keeps the damp off.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You might want to check vacuum hoses and anything else that hose pressure could have knocked loose. I've done that washing down the engine of truck once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.