Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Dear fellow bikers.I have had three occasions where she will just cut out completely,suddenly,and last night right in front of cars!Hair raising.I have changed,plugs,filters,fuel and air,cleaned carbs,check the fuel ****,the vacuum lines,battery,fuses,loose wiring.etc.I believe that these bikes were called back by Honda in the beginning .Faulty,sensor,of some kind,if your bike falls over?Where is this thing?I need to use the bike daily,Pastor for bikers,so any help is well received.She does it in all kinds of weather,hot or cold.

This is what happens.Riding at 80 mph or higer,no warning,up or down hill,but usually higer speeds,she just cuts,all dash lights are on,fuses Ok,I then coast to a stand still,wait for a minute and start her up again.Perfect.No I believe not fuel starvation,new filter in line for the fuel.10 mm in and out size.Fuel **** assembly,seems Ok.

But sometimes she will perculate,flood,after I have ridden her,then I will start her,smell fuel,wait for it to clear up,and idle smooth and then go.

I am baffeled.

KIND REGaRDS.

:XDan Booysen.Messiahs Disciples South Africa

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Dan, sounds like the bank angle sensor. If the dash lights went out at the same time then its fairly certain to be the bank angle sensor. You can see it under the saddle and at the back right of the frame,justabout level withthe top ofthe saddlebag.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

That happened to my previous GL1500. Used to die at the most unexpected times, once when I was passing out a truck! After that episode I got it checked out and the bank angle sensor (tilt sensor) was faulty. Something about the mercury drying up, you could get my sensor and rattle it and hear the contacts rattling around as it was so dried up. The new sensor did not rattle and I never had any trouble after that.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

EUREKA!

Man Ted you are great.

I opened her up this morning,shaked the handel bars like some GORILLA,nothing happened.I nearly took her of the centre stand,nothing.I then took the seat off.Looked for some thing that I do not know what it is suppose to look like,and found it.As you have said,just above the top pannier,right hand side.It is held in place with 2 Phillips screws.it was in tact,BUT,following the wiring I got to the GREEN connector,and it was loose.There are 6 plugs.3x white,a red one,a black one,and the green one is the tilt sensor connector.I cleaned it,rerouted it,made sure that it is intact,started the bike,tilted the sensor,and she cuts.YOU HAVE TO SWITCH ON AND OFF<to reactivate the switch.At this stage the dash lights are all still on.I also found the rattel,she had.The on board compressor has a very flimsy way of been pushed through two small holes,it was completely out,the tilt sensor is directly behind it.A cable tie or zipper cured that.

I trust that this info will help out there.

Bless you.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Dan, nice work finding the problem. You are right about the ignition having to be turned off and on again for a reset, but if you can still get a rattle when shaking the sensor it will need replacing soon. A new tilt sensor doesn't rattle inside when youu shake it, you should only have a very slight clicking sound.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks .I have shaken her,or rather the sensor,I can only hear liquid,no rattels.

I will be travelling to WINDHOEK,Namibia in December,we are opening a new Messiahs disciples branch there.We are a few going down and it is...2424 kilometers from home just there.

So I cannot have any problems.We will be going north via BOTSWANA>

Thank you for helping.I will keep you in the loop,as to progress.

Blessings.

DAN

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

If you can hear the liquid in the sensor Dan, then it's fine. Best of luck on your trip, how about a few pictures from the trip when you get time?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.