Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just had my 86 1200 wing about a month. I've only been able to put about 200mi on it so far. It has been running great I've been out of town the past week and when I got home this afternoon, I went for a ride.

About 10 mi from home, it lost most power. It would still run but it tooks lots of throttle. It acted like it was not firing on all 4. Every now and then, it have burst of power for 3-4 seconds and then bog down again. It took a 1/4 mile to go from a stop to 55.

I made it back home. Had time the check the oil, it was clean. I thought I post for ideas / looking for advise on what to start checking when I get home tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

That almost sounds to me like a carb problem... I'd recommend pulling your plugs and seeing if one is wet with gas. If so then pull the intake mainfold and see if you have gas sitting in the intake in a puddle. I once had a single carb stick open and it flooded one cylinder. It bogged down my power and stranded me on the side of the road.
You might also check and make sure that you are firing on all 4. It could be you simply need to add some marvel mystery oil to your gas to free up a sticking needle. Driving regularly sure seems to make bikes happier.
But thats just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
I hope its nothing big. Good luck

G. Ray Glenn Sr.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,825 Posts
imported post

Ride with the gas cap loose. Could be a plugged vent in cap. Happens all the time.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Gas Cap it was! Thanks!

I got home from work tonight, took the cap off and heard a quick suction sound. I put the cap back on, went for the same 10mi ride, perfect! When I got home, took the cap off again, no suction sound.

I'll soak and clean the cap later in the week. I'd sort of like to have the symptom repeat and pull the cap off real time to confirm this won't come back if I clean up the cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.