Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It was working fine and I turned the key off. Went inside, came out and voila! No power at all to the travel computer. I checked the standard fuse block and all looks well except there seems to be no dedicated fuse to the travel computer. Is it tagged onto some other circuit? Any help would be most appreciated!
Thanks!
Bud

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Check the connectors on the bottom of the computer. They have a tendency to get dirty corroded and even loose.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

plugged and unplugged the connectors several times with no success. Any ideas????

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

Per the '85 Elec. Troubleshooting manual here's the fuses for the Travel Computer with a quick way to check each one!

The 7.5amp inline fuse located beneath the left pocket: OK if the Radio works.

Fuse #3, 15amp: OK if the Radio lights work.

Fuse #4, 10amp: OK if the Instument Panel (LCD) works.

Fuse #6, 10amp: OK if the hazard lights work.

Fuse #7, 10amp: OK if the Tail lights work.

Fuse #9, 15amp: No info here except it's hot at all times but I'd be a dollar agin a doughnut the bike won't crank if it's bad as it also powers the CFI main relay!!

I hope this helps!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

+1 on roscoepc's list of fuses. Also, pull the rubber cover to the left of the forks (looking down from the seat) where all the connectors are before the wires go into the fairing, then the check the big connector block in the fairing under the pocket. One more thing, because I had it happen on one of my connectors, check to make sure all the wires in the connector on the bottom of the trip computer are pushed into the connector completely. But if there's absolutly no power, I'm thinking the 7.5 amp fuse in the fairing.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Ding! Ding! We have a winner Gentleman! The 7.5 amp fuse under the left pocket was blown. Everything works now, but I'm still curious as to what shorted it out. Thanks so much everyone for your help!

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

:blackstuff::coollep::coollep::coollep::coollep::coollep:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Unless I'm looking at the wrong fuse it shows it feeding the cb, radio, trunk light switch, voltmeter and instrument panel in addition to the travel computer.
I'm wondering if it was blank with key off only or did you try it with key in ON as well.
Any chance you had just washed bike or it was parked in the rain? Check the little rubber boot at the base of the speaker bal/fade joystick to see if it is torn. That could possibly allow moisture into the computer.
...one other thing (again unless I'm looking at the wrong fuse) the E.T.M. lists that as a 3 AMP fuse-not 7.5...

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Unless they changed things on the SEI I think you may be looking at the wrong fuse. The fuse in the fairing is deffinately 7.5 amps, even in the book (at least mine). I think if I remember right it's the main constant power for the stereo, amp, and travel computer. I know it controls the travel computer because mine went out much the same way, with no apparent reason. I checked everything out and concluded it was a combination of an old fuse and dirty contacts. Cleaned it all up and put in a new one, haven't had a problem since.

As far as being blank with the key off, mine is NEVER blank with the key off unless there's a problem. The time zone indicator and clock are always on. You've got my curiousity raised though. If that fuse is really meant to power all those circuits it seems like it should be a heftier circuit. I'm gonna have to look into that now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.