Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Got a 1993 GL1500 Interstate with only 30K. I have been riding every day to work this week and I am not real happy about the feel of the back end especially underneath me.

I am going to look at tire pressure and am considering replacing the tires.

Any suggestions????????:?:?:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yeah, the first thing to check when riding a new bike would be tire pressure, both front and back. Also it would be a very good idea to check the rear shock air pressure. Normally a very worn tire won't make the bike feel squirrelly, but low pressure in the tires and shocks will.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,501 Posts
imported post

Tires are a favorite subject for all motorcyclists :)

My favorite for the 1500 bikes is the Michelin Pilot GT

Great feeling of security on the road, ignores tar snakes.

:leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

AZ is right. everyone has a favorite tire. I had dunlop'son my 1500 and didnt really care for them. I switched to Metzler ME 880's and have nothing but good things to say about them. Have 10,000 miles on the front and still have half tread left. Only have about 3000 miles on the rear and it looks like the day i put it on. Liked them so much I switched the wifes VTX over to them and she likes em' too. You can do a search on this forum and get as much info on tires as you care to read. good luck!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks for the replies. I just traded my 81 GL1100 for a 1993 GL1500. It only has 30K and I think the tires are probably original. The tread still looks OK.

Is it still a good idea to replace the tires?

I have seen both the Metzler and the Michelin. One has a very wide tread. Is there an advantage in having that much rubber on the road?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

Just my opinion but if those are the original tires ( although prolly not if the bike has 30,000 miles) I would replace them. If you do a little searching you can find how to decode the date code on the tire and then you would know for sure. ANY drying cracks weather cracks or such no matter how small ditch em. Im pretty sure you're gonna love the upgrade from the 1100 to the 1500. When I first got my 1500 I was riding a 1200. Took a little getting used to because of the size difference. Hardly ever get on the 1200 anymore. the 1500 is just such a luxury liner. Grab a manual ( there are a few very generous members here who have them on their site for you to download) go over all the routine maintenance and then enjoy for years to come!

·
Administrator
61,501 Posts
imported post

Yes, if the date code is more than 5 years, those tires are expired in my opinion. Regardless of appearance.

Sidewall separations at 70 mph are not a subject I wish to experience.

Fresh date codes on a tire can be the best insurance policy you ever bought.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

If you like musical accompaniment while you ride, you could put on Dunlop E 3's. They will begin singing softly the day you put them on but be patient because they get much louder as they wear. Also, they prefer hot weather and sing louder on hot roads than on cooler roads.

I've used Dunlops for 30 years on various bikes but as my E 3's wear out, I am changing brands because of the excessive noise.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:

Tires are a favorite subject for all motorcyclists :)

My favorite for the 1500 bikes is the Michelin Pilot GT

Great feeling of security on the road, ignores tar snakes.

+1 :clapper:

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Where are the codes located on the tires?

My wife said she will have to get used to riding higher above and behind me. I noticed the additional power and weight of the 1500 and the different gearing of the 1500.

I don't have to fight with the bike to get it to go where I want to go.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thanks AZ. 25th week of 2003

·
Administrator
61,501 Posts
imported post

Looks like they will be expired in about 5 weeks then.

Better be putting some money back and buy a new tire insurance policy.....ie, new tires.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Called my local dealer and they matched an Internet price on a set of Elite IIIs.

It is hard to describe the difference in the ride with the new tires.

·
Administrator
61,501 Posts
imported post

Fantastic, and thank you very much for closing the thread properly with "the fix".

I wish everyone would come back and post "the fix". Threads that end up with a good suggestion and no reply back from the requester, just don't make good Search Sources for future researchers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.