Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of ordering Sierra Electronic upgrade speakers for my 1500 SE. Any feedback on them? Any issues with the fader? Mine seem to rattle and sometimes sound distorted.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Rear Speakers '97 GL1500 SE

Have been going through the same thing myself. Just tonight put in a pair of Walmart cheapo $28 4" 3-way speakers in the rear. Was able to get them in without modification, with some coaxing. They sound great with no distortion even on full volume and fader set to the rear. Can't comment on longevity, but the moving materials are all plastic and rubber, so should handle the weather. They indicate they are no longer available online. I found them in a local store a couple of weeks ago. Trouble is, any improved speaker is going to have a larger magnet causing clearance issues in the rear.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-HD4303-4-3-Way-Car-Speakers-Car-Speakers-Pair-of-Speakers/17128650

Looks like Amazon has them in stock at this time:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-HD4003-4-Inch-150-Watt-Speakers/dp/B0072LD11K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373950789&sr=8-1&keywords=Scosche+HD4003[/ame]

Many others here have recommended the Polk DB401's for rear, with some modification, and DB501's with some finagling for the front. The 401's apparently will require some removal of plastic behind the speaker to allow fitment. 501's just need the mounting slots cut out and extended. Do a search here and you will find plenty of info.
The speakers you referenced are J&M. Not too many good reviews on this site. From the looks of the magnet on the rear, I don't see how they could be an improvement over OEM.
Am planning on a pair of DB501's for the front of my bike.
Been playing with speakers and audio since I was 10 years old. Found over the years, too many years, that magnet size, and the speaker enclosure are the secrets to good sounding speakers. Even built a pair out of college in '75, with 12" woofers and horn tweeters, about 4' tall. They sounded great for the time, and even today. You have no control over the enclosure since it is built into the bike, but you can select a decent magnet, and the J&M's don't appear to have a good size magnet.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Looks like Amazon has them in stock at this time:
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-HD400...qid=1373950789&sr=8-1&keywords=Scosche+HD4003

Many others here have recommended the Polk DB401's for rear, with some modification, and DB501's with some finagling for the front. The 401's apparently will require some removal of plastic behind the speaker to allow fitment. 501's just need the mounting slots cut out and extended. Do a search here and you will find plenty of info.

POLK DB501's are the way to go for the front speakers!!

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
been doing the speaker pros and cons, you have convinced me on the db501's for the front, what about the rear ones?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
For relatively extra work, can fit db501's in the rear.
Just gotta trim two edges of the speaker frame with tin snips (no grinder - metal particles getting into magnet).
In a stereo shop, they had them both set up. There was a significant difference in sound.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I ride solo only so just a 1000 watt thumper on rear seat works for me!
Calls in the ?#$%2 showing #%#% with shirts up, and pant's down. LOL
Wife wonders why a hard core country addict would want such a system, I just say she should ride more with me and I would not need it!! LOL

Wife does not ride, but hey I got the thump!!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
For relatively extra work, can fit db501's in the rear.
Just gotta trim two edges of the speaker frame with tin snips (no grinder - metal particles getting into magnet).
In a stereo shop, they had them both set up. There was a significant difference in sound.
thats what i did.....works great:bow:

·
Registered
936 Posts
I hear people say the 1500 doesn't work well with rear speakers? I have a 100 Watt RMS amp in my saddle bag and rewired the radio to source the amp with hi level input. Then the output of the amp goes back into the factory wiring and fader. My rear speakers only play a fraction of loudness compared to my front speakers....even with the fader all to the rear, the sound is low. I bought the rear at Walmart and I think they are 4" speakers? The front takes 4.5"? Its been awhile since I did the work. I will look into the db501 for the rear, but I am afraid I am wasting my time given what others say about rear speakers on a 1500. Any input? Is my fader the problem? The ohm's in front are 3 and the rear is 4 ohm. I figured 100 watts should do fine and the amp can handle 2 ohm loads.

My speakers are after market. I think I have J&M front speakers, but can't recall. They do play loud, but the rear is useless at the moment. By the way, I did the baffles from crutchfield and made a difference on the front. Highway speeds don't affect the speakers with air pressure behind the speakers. Read this suggestion on this forum somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.