Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1979 - 75 GL 1000 Cafe style
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a data guy and like to see and know what my running temps are, true volts stator is making and actual fuel indication. If the OEM gauges in my 79 center cluster are a guestimate at best what the point, yankem and just listen to what the bike is saying at that point like back in the day.
Are there any suitable accurate replacements that fit factory dash pod, that could be swapped in and utilize current fuel and temp sending units? autometer / pro comp / stewart warner, etc?
For that matter does anyone know the the ohm operating range for fuel and temp sending units?
thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
I think all gauges give guestimates. The bike will let you know if something is going wrong.
'Til then, enjoy the ride.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
A guestimate is close enough. If you know what normal is then you can see a change even if there were no markings on the gauges.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update, replaced the faulty 7V regulator, (7 Volt Regulator for CX/GL – Murrays Carbs) now reads 7.05v but i added another ground from the green wire to the frame and now it reads 6.98v, which would be the preferred voltage to keep?

Gauge has regulated power, when shorted cycles to full and then to empty when not, tests good.

Discovered that fuel sending unit is defective. Sending unit reads 2.3 ohms at all times when tank has less than half a tank. Plan to chemically clean, tin connections and reseal as per restoration article.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
already burnt one up for whatever reason, want to confirm product i purchase is in spec and a matched replacement part.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
why have one at all if it doesn't matter?
Probably never going to find one that outputs exactly 7v. 7/100 of a volt is well within tolerance of most electronics. If it was 6.8 or 7.2v it would still be fine. The gauges are not marked in small enough increments you could tell the difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts