Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any one got an idea of what would be a good safe jack for a 1500se? Been looking on e bay and saw some that lift up to 1500 lbs but don't know if they would be suitable. They appear to lift the bike from under the engine. Is this recommended for goldwings ? I Don't want to spend a small fortune.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

http://goldwingtech.info/mike click on the link its all there i have one of these my self but you have to be very carefull that the bike does not tip back lets say if your pulling the front wheel i have found that i can do al most anything on the center stand and a car jack under the engine if i have to lift the front and you need to strap the bike down

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I use two different brands of bike jacks. Typical types with two lifting arms that slip under the bike. I've used them both on all models of Goldwing except the 1800. It hasn't damaged any header pipes as some worry about. When changing tires or removing heavy items off one end of the bike such as the saddle bags and trunk I jack up the bike and then slip some blocking under the end opposite the parts removal to prevent the bike from overbalancing once the weight comes off. These jacks are actually very handy. Very useful for pulling the engine out of a 'Wing too, makes the job pretty easy. I use my jack often just to turn the bike around in the garage so I can ride straight out without backing it.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I use the Harbor Freight one. It works just fine for me (also no problems with exhaust). Like has been said, support the rear if taking off the front wheel. I use the tip given in the timing belts procedure, by putting a jackstand under the hitch receiver.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
http://goldwingtech.info/mike click on the link its all there i have one of these my self but you have to be very carefull that the bike does not tip back lets say if your pulling the front wheel i have found that i can do al most anything on the center stand and a car jack under the engine if i have to lift the front and you need to strap the bike down
Good link. I too strap my m/c to the jack but don't go over the bike. I run the straps to the motor guards and use all four. It is always a good idea as you stated to support under the wheels when removing parts off either ends. I almost lost a 1500 over the front by removing the side bag.There is a little flexing in the lifts also that is normal. On my 1800 and also the 1500, the bike has to be held up off the side stand to get the jack under the frame. Two people makes it safer. David

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

I too, use the jack under the bike. Mine is the Sears model. They have two models, a steel one and an aluminum one. I went with the steel one. A little heavier, but the aluminum one didn't have the tie down eyelets on the four corners of it. Once at the height I want it at, I usually don't do anymore support, it's pretty stable as is. There is some movement, but not bad unless you're going to be really tugging hard on a wrench. But one job I was doing on Goldie, I was going to do some pretty good pulling of the wrenches so I strapped from the crash guards to each corner of the jack and turned down two little stabilizing feet they have on one end of the jack and that thing was more stable than I would have guessed. Bike had no movement.

Like others here have said, if pulling something heavy off of one end, block up the opposite end with floor jack or wood under the opposite tire.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks to you all. I have decided to deciced to go with the megalift but am going to have to wait about 2 weeks for delivery, as they don't have it in stock. Wish I'd known that before I paid for it. No doubt I'll be looking for more advice from ye soon. Was hoping to join the others for st. Patricks day parade in Cork, but I have a serious steering problem along with loud noise coming from the front end. I suspect the front wheel bearings are about to disintegrate. Was able to replace the ones in my 1200 with a small scissors jack but I don't think that will work with the 1500.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi mike i just replaced my own front berings last week with the bike on the center stand and a sissors jack under the engine if you go for theafter market bearings they only cost 14 euro comp to honda 45euro the part no is koyo 28-6302

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.