Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, I'm sitting here planning my summer's campaign. It will be a weird one, split right in the middle. Red's parents are having their fifty-year Anniversary celebration in July, and Red's family, a big one, is planning a big celebration. I don't have the heart, or the right, to expect Red to miss it, so we won't........

I had wanted to return to Europe this summer, but, because of Red's commitment to her lovely parents, a salt of the earth farm family, and the fact the country is flopping belly-up financially, Europe is out this year...... we are as in much financial danger as everyone else... Red has lost $10,000 out of her teacher's retirement fund, and her job is no way assured..... we're gonna hunker down like everyone else and ride it out.

But, in so many ways we are rich beyond measure, living in beautiful Washington, with beautiful tours spreading out from our hometown in any direction we care to look! One thought is to repeat our signature tour of exactly twenty years ago, and ride down the California coast, and then back up behind the Sierras.... seeing a National Park or two that we've so far missed.......or maybe cross the Mojave to the Grand Canyon, one of the great experiences of our lives, making sure to have the bike in "the barn" back at home in time for the anniversay party......

Or we could do our second signature trip.... which we did nineteen years ago. Head straight north to Dusty Boots's homeland, and ride the Canadian Rockies, up to Jasper, along the Icefield Parkway.... if you haven't done this yet, drop whatever you are doing and go! You will never regret it, hey, Dusty?

Regards, in September, I'll be heading to Montrose, maybe with Red and maybe without, and maybe flying her out to Denver..... we trying to figure out if we dare have her ask for a week's leave...... those with jobs are desperately hanging on to them, and those without are looking desperately.... We'll see, we'll see......

But, regardless, we are going somewhere, and going with faith and love. We love our bike!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you kind of made up your mind already. Hear you about the taking leave or extra vacation from work, just not a good idea right now. We are going to Sturgess and then up to North Dakota to see some relatives then west on Canadian 1 to Vancouver head south from there to see my sister in Washington, my daughter in Oregon, my son in Lodi, and then home. But I think that will be it for the year. Not comfortable in asking for more time. :action::action:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yes CJ, trying to figure out which fine scenicstretch of blacktop to rideti's a tough decision to make, for sure. :baffled: :doh:

I know the dilemma you are going through, as I am havinga somewhat similarproblem, myself.

After living in this beautiful part of the Continent for the past 12 years, I'll be retiring this May and moving back to Ontario at the end of Julyand want to get in as many 'must do' rides before I am settled in, back east. It's like trying to decide which of your favorite deserts you want for your last, non-dietary, dinner. :arguing:

I was thinking of making it one hell of a spectacular ride into Montrose but the areas I want to ride/see are just too 'spread out', to make that sort of trip, practical. :gunhead: :headbanger:

So, I've decided tobreak it up into2 majortrips, with day/weekend trips sprinkled in for flavouring.

I'm thinking on taking 12-14 days at the end of June, early July and doingthe smaller/shorter(3,00+ miles)Banff/Waterton/Glacier/Beartooth Pass/Yellowstone/Tetons/Craters of the Moon/Coeur D Alene Lake loop 'portion' and saving the "piece de resistance" for the actual trip to Montrose and beyond, en route to Ontario, covering at least another 7,000 miles.

In between those 2 trips, I'll be packing up a U-Haul, complete with a tandem axle float (for my van) and driving across country to my new place in Gravenhurst, Ontario. Get settled in a bit, before flying back here on the 1st of Sept, where I'll pick up my bike, which I'll leave in my storage room , along with all the needed gear for the trip to Montrose and start out on Sept 2-3, for another adventurous trip, downalong the West Coast, before turning inland, visiting many National Parksen route.

Should be quite the summer. :coollep:

Too many roads ... not enough time :18red:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

CJ:
I have a similar problem when it comes to a trip. Like Red, work for a school district too and we have three schools opening this next school year so taking a week in September is out of the question. My SO, wants to visit the grand canyon but funds are limited so I am trying to figure the best time to go. Dont want to go too early nor too late. Too early and the storms in the Texas panhandle can be an every afternoon occurance during spring and early summer. Too late its one of those hot trip home rides like last year. Do-able but not something I would like to repeat. However I prefer HOT to being wet.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

CJ,
With the Canadian dollar being as weak as it is right now your dollar will go a lot further in the Great White North. And since you mentioned the Icefields, might I recommend what I call the Continental Divide Tour: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Saint+Mary&1s=MT&1y=US&1l=48.7439&1g=-113.428596&1v=CITY&2c=Lake+McDonald&2s=MT&2y=US&2l=48.6208&2g=-113.870796&2v=CITY#a/maps/l:::Saint+Mary:MT::US:48.7439:-113.428596:city::1/l:::Lake+McDonald:MT::US:48.6208:-113.870796:city::1/l:::Whitefish:MT::US:48.411098:-114.3367:city:Flathead+County:1/l:::Fernie:BC::CA:49.50948:-115.06295:city:East+Kootenay:1/l:::Longview:AB::CA:50.531212:-114.230972:city:Alberta:1/l:::Banff:AB::CA:51.175171:-115.572571:city:Alberta:1/l:::Edgewater:BC::CA:50.69878:-116.130531:city:East+Kootenay:1/l:::Golden:BC::CA:51.294731:-116.963043:city:Columbia-Shuswap:1/l:::Jasper:AB::CA:52.873638:-118.082649:city:Alberta:1/m:::::0:::::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e ?

Crosses the Divide 4 times, 5 if you go into B.C. from Jasper. And coming home would be up to you and your time/finances. The trip over to Prince Rupert is very nice and the ferry ride to Port Hardy (13 hrs) and then down the island and a ferry back into Washington is a great trip. Or you could just sneak back through the Okanogan Valley and enjoy every fruit stand along the way. Just a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

So what's the requirement for a US citizen getting into Canada and back home now? Passport needed?

Q

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Q wrote:
So what's the requirement for a US citizen getting into Canada and back home now? Passport needed?

Q
All you need is the new passport card for Canada and Mexico.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

CJ, we still on for the Iron Butt this spring?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Whoa! I forgot about that......yeah, maybe.......

I qualify that because I have arthritic shoulders, bone spurs, and had to have my left shoulder surgically repaired three years ago. Now the right one is acting up.....if it gets worse, Iwas thinking about having it done in Feb, or March..... but I would probably be okay in late May, or early June........

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
We are going to Sturgess and then up to North Dakota to see some relatives then west on Canadian 1 to Vancouver
SB - you will be much better off staying south of the border and heading west through ND, MT, ID and WA. The scenery is much better and EVERYTHING from gas to accommodations is going to be cheaper. The Canadian prairies is not an interesting ride unless you have your heart set on seeing something 'special' but I have no idea what that would be :action:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

miles.from.nowhere wrote:
SpiderBob wrote:
We are going to Sturgess and then up to North Dakota to see some relatives then west on Canadian 1 to Vancouver
SB - you will be much better off staying south of the border and heading west through ND, MT, ID and WA. The scenery is much better and EVERYTHING from gas to accommodations is going to be cheaper. The Canadian prairies is not an interesting ride unless you have your heart set on seeing something 'special' but I have no idea what that would be :action:
Hey Spider..... if you do decide to stay south of our good friends, The Canadians, go west from Sturgis to Devils Tower National Monument, Wyoming. Then go north into Montana.... The Bighorn Battlefield (Custer and Crazy Horse).....then take a look at Highway 212, Beartooth Pass, and Cody and The Chief Joseph Scenic Highway, and Yellowstone. Or head directly north from the Tower and take a look at Highway 200, which will take you clear to Missoula, Montana. Take Highway 12 out of Missoula...Lolo Pass (Lewis and Clark)....then go down the Columbia River Gorge on the Washington Side (one of the best roads in the world!), and then hit the coast and go up Highway 101 to Vancouver! Easy Peasy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.