Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone have experience with the "Super Brace"? My '05 Goldwing has a low speed front end wobble. I'm running Elite 3 tires on the front and rear. Both tires have about 5000 miles.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
imported post

Hey bud,

My neighbors '04 had the same issue at 19k, tried new tires, super brace... and nothing worked until he went with tapered steering head bearings and progressive springs front and coil over spring on the shock in the rear. Did them all at once and the issue went away.

It was likely the tapered bearings that did the trick as many others have experienced the same issue and fixed it this way. The progressivesprings was to preventfrom bottoming out on bumps.

Good luck
Toy4Rick

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the bottoming out issue. The wobble seems to occur during deacceleration and when I let go of the bars. I don't let go of the bars other than to check that wobble. High speed is fine. I do notice a weird wobble in turns at low speed. Nothing dangerous tho.

Thanks again,

Deuce

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
imported post

The Kury brace, which is supposed to be better, didn't help mine any. What did was getting a new REAR tire. Turns out the rear can have a lot more effect on wobble than you would think. My Metzler rear must have been quite bad - went to a D50 and then a Shinko and both were smooth, again.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

If I had my choice between fork braces it'd be the Kury version. Reason being that the Super Brace is machined out of 2 parts. If by some chance the machining process is a little bit off the Super Brace can bind the front forks and cause more problems than it cures. The Kury is multi piece. There's a 'clamp' that attaches to each fork and then a center piece that tightens up attaching to the fork braces. I re-installed a Super Brace on a customers bike that was visibily off centered. When tightend to the forks I could see the forks tweek. I removed the Super Brace and the handling was much improved.
As far as your wobble (which should actually be called an occilation) it commonly called the HOTB occilation. Hands Off The Bars. It's common but should be called normal. Many times I've had good success with just installing the AllBalls bearings and curing it. Some times they don't help. One of the things I've found is that Dunlop E3 tires and Metzler tires can cause the HOTB. I found that Bridgestone front tires can sometimes cure a HOTB.

Unfortunately there's no 'set in stone' cure. Your best bet is the All Balls bearings. I've had more success with them than anything else.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

Maybe I should edit the 'no set in stone' statement. I used to install the Traxxion forks and rear shocks and it was a cure! Costly yes, perhaps overkill, but they don't have the HOTB after I was done. Even worn tires didn't effect the HOTB after installing the Traxxion kit.
Keep in mind that the Traxxion kit included All Balls bearings.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I have noticed the same thing and found it was the cupping in the front tire that I had been under-inflating for quite some time and recently found that running 39-41 pounds will help. Running a new tire from the begging at this tire pressure I'm hoping will cure it.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

replacing that fish oil in the forks does wonders

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Have you run your hand over the tires to feel for cupping? I had the exact same issues as you and it went away with new tires.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

rayworx wrote:
If I had my choice between fork braces it'd be the Kury version. Reason being that the Super Brace is machined out of 2 parts. If by some chance the machining process is a little bit off the Super Brace can bind the front forks and cause more problems than it cures. The Kury is multi piece. There's a 'clamp' that attaches to each fork and then a center piece that tightens up attaching to the fork braces. I re-installed a Super Brace on a customers bike that was visibily off centered. When tightend to the forks I could see the forks tweek. I removed the Super Brace and the handling was much improved.
As far as your wobble (which should actually be called an occilation) it commonly called the HOTB occilation. Hands Off The Bars. It's common but should be called normal. Many times I've had good success with just installing the AllBalls bearings and curing it. Some times they don't help. One of the things I've found is that Dunlop E3 tires and Metzler tires can cause the HOTB. I found that Bridgestone front tires can sometimes cure a HOTB.

Unfortunately there's no 'set in stone' cure. Your best bet is the All Balls bearings. I've had more success with them than anything else.
I thought they advertised that the super brace is machined out of one solid billet of aluminum. When I installed mine, it sure looked like that. Also, to me it would be much more likely that the super brace is machined true and that if there is a misalignment, it is likely to be the forks, not the brace that is out. Just my take on it.

·
Premium Member
62,977 Posts
imported post

My Super Brace was 1 piece.. I had to force it in place, not good.. It screwed up the handling and ride.. Took it off and filed it down until in just dropped into place.. [Read instructions when all else fails]
It helped at very slow speed, but it changed the ride and I'm not sure I really like it in hard turns..
I'm about 1 click from taking it off.. My front tire is down to the wear marks and I'll be changing it very soon.. I want to see if the new tire makes a difference.. If not it goes...................

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

The helmet is a multi use device. It's a helmet, container for whatever type of libation was being consumed, and a cooling device. After consuming the contents, just place on head and wearer is instantly cooled for the next destination. It's hot here in Florida.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

On the bike I talked about... when I removed the super brace I very gently reassembled the 2 halves. As I slowly tightened the allen bolts I could visibly see that the mating surface was not flush. The right side of the super brace had a gap when the left side was mated flush together. When I had it on the bike it tweeked the forks and caused very poor handling. This sort of made me think that superbrace was manufacturing 2 halves... maybe not but this particular superbrace was improperly machined. Regardless, the super brace is a 2 piece brace. The Kury brace is 'multi-piece' and secures the forks more accurately and without the 'tweeking' problem.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I like the helmet too, I was wondering if I could find one in a full face though.:coollep:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.