Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'll never forget the first sweeping, lay it over turn I did when I first got my 95 Aspencade. Frankly, it kind of scared the hell out of me. It went into a wallowing front end dance that wasn't even close to a tank slapper but enough that it certainly got my attention in a hurry. I went right home and checked all the bolts on the front end, checked to see the forks had equal air pressure and everything looked perfect. After all, the machine only has 12K miles on it. Ever since then I even noticed some noise or insecurity in the front end when doing tight turns. Well, I had read the reviews on the net about the "SuperBrace" and I purchased one. I mounted it last night and took the bike through that same sweeper and honestly, it was a night and day difference. It tracked like a sport bike and I felt totally comfortable laying it over close to the point of needing clean shorts. For what that brace cost to manufacture I will never understand why the factory doesn't design them into the front end. These are heavy, heavy machines with relatively small fork tubes that are bound to flex under load and they do. I guess every machine could have been designed better but this is a safety issue that shouldn't have been overlooked in my opinion. Just my two cents.

Respectfully,

Ed

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Works very well if all of the other wear and adjustment items are in good shape. Sounds like yours were.

Like having a new bike isn't it?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

One thing I want to add and that's how important it is to follow the instructions exactly as they are printed and you'll be done with the job in less than 20 minutes. I went for a lengthy ride last night and just like Rudy stated, it's like riding a new bike, totally different. When you can keel one of these whales over and hang a knee out like your Freddie Spencer it really is a great feeling. My brother in-law was following me on his new Harley Fat Bob and when we stopped for a rest he simply said "You're Crazy" and I just looked at him, smiled and said "Yea, but man was that fun!" Don't get me wrong though, this add on will not turn your 800 pound two wheeled car into a track prepared Formula racer but it sure will make you feel a whole lot more confident in the turns. I can't say any morehow pleased I am with my "New Wing".

Respectfully,

Ed

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Hello from sunny Orkney,

By coincidence I have just fitted a superbrace and agree with the comments, it has really transformed the whole feel of the bike and made riding even more enjoyable. As Rudy says though - the rest of the front end has to be up to scratch and careful fitting, especially to ensure that it drops in place without force - is paramount. My own feeling is that the original mudguard bridge and the superbrace work well together as a box section (when viewed from the front) and it is this stiffness which prevents the legs working independently and allowing the wheel to have a mind of its own. I stuck a bit on my web site about a trip in the Scottish Highlands, just after fitting it (its in the 'what's new' section)

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Orcadian wrote:
Hello from sunny Orkney,

By coincidence I have just fitted a superbrace and agree with the comments, it has really transformed the whole feel of the bike and made riding even more enjoyable. As Rudy says though - the rest of the front end has to be up to scratch and careful fitting, especially to ensure that it drops in place without force - is paramount. My own feeling is that the original mudguard bridge and the superbrace work well together as a box section (when viewed from the front) and it is this stiffness which prevents the legs working independently and allowing the wheel to have a mind of its own. I stuck a bit on my web site about a trip in the Scottish Highlands, just after fitting it (its in the 'what's new' section)
Very nice run and pix there Ian. Thanks. Felt like I was there with you.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

Never heard of it but I thought I was the only one that had trouble making smooth sweepers on my 1200. Well another one to add to my wishlist. Thanks for the post Ed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.