Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Interesting... Resourcefulness hits pay-dirt?

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/y_kuE4PzMG8&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Attachments

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,628 Posts
imported post

Anyone else notice it is not a trike?

He managed to just split the trailer and connect around the bike. Would like to see it close up and see how he has it attached so the bike's rear suspension can still move.

I suspect just swivels at the front attachment point.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Seems like a lot of weight for a Virago to stop. Definitely different. Wondering about the reverse? Kudos for thinking outside the box.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Yea.Interesting on how he did his reverse. I see alot of folks wanting to trike their 1200 or 1100's but the reverse always throws up a roadblock.

·
Administrator
61,628 Posts
imported post

For reverse, I would suspect a starter motor that is pulled back against a rear tire. With a rubber tired wheel on the starter motor's shaft.

I saw that once before.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
imported post

Looks like something you would see come out of a country boy's shop. Gotta love the inginuity though.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
imported post

I was camping in Gatlinburg Tn last night and this guy rolled in after dark and set up a tent next to me. Turns out it was Jerry, the guy in the video.

While he was hooking up his electricity, we struck up a conversation. I could only tell that it had an extra set of wheels, but was not a trike. I asked him "do you have an Insta-trike kit?"

He said "no, its something I invented and I have patented the idea and I am selling them on ebay." We talked for a few minutes and then turned in for the night.

This morning I was up before any of my neighbors so I snuck over and looked it over pretty hard.

He basically took a 4 X 6 trailer, cut a "U" shape out of the back, and slid it around the bike. He unbolted the tongue and removed it, then took the lights from the trailer and wired them to a plug that just plugs into the bike's trailer plug.

The trailer is connected to the bike at the passengers floor board area. He removed the floorboards, took a piece of 1/4" plate and welded some 1" square stock to the frame of the trailer and then to the 1/4" plate.

The trailer still has its straight axle. He said he had experimented with cutting the axles, to give it independent suspension, but likes the straight axle better.

He said that it had a larger than normal turning radius in parking lots, but handled curves just fine.

When he packed up to leave, I watched him go through the campground and pull out on the highway.........seemed to do just fine and he had one heck of a load in the storage area.

The one he was driving was not painted, so it was rusted and looked kind of like "the clampets go to maui" but hey, whatever floats your boat. If you cant afford a trike kit, but cant hold the bike up, then this a certainly an option.

I forgot to add, he was on the maroon 1500, not the virago that he used in the video. He said that he had the trailer mounted to far back on the virago, as it wanted to wheelie every time he takes off.....

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

He's been selling how-to DVDs @ $20 ea. on eBay with good frequency...
He's got a site showing many different set-ups. More power to him!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I wonder how he did the reverse... Also, if you notice the rear wheel on the wing is farther forward than that of the virago. Whats my point? not sure...

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

UBarW wrote:
I wonder how he did the reverse...

Using 12V electric winches for drive power is popular.
Various friction and chaindriveshave been implemented, though I don't know what he uses either.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Interesting concept, but not for me.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

just asking , but the way this setup looks , would'nt the trailor wheels bind with the back wheels of the bike ,is there something i'm missing looking at this vidio ,

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Bind???

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

actionpack wrote:
CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
would'nt the trailor wheels bind with the rear tirein a turn
I wouldn't think they would as they aren't drive wheels, they free wheel just like on any trailer.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
imported post

anybody else notice i post a quetion about goldwing trikes aboutwhat is the best kit to do for your bike to help with a partal disabilaty & my post gets pulledand this guy cuts a hole in a trailer mounts his training wheels to his bike& i think there are some companys that have a pattan on that & calls it a trike & this thin has how many hits

i'm looking for help to stay riding & my post get pulled?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

Where did you post? ... What thread?

I guess I didn't notice it.

·
Administrator
61,628 Posts
imported post

PAF1047 wrote:
anybody else notice i post a quetion about goldwing trikes aboutwhat is the best kit to do for your bike to help with a partal disabilaty & my post gets pulledand this guy cuts a hole in a trailer mounts his training wheels to his bike& i think there are some companys that have a pattan on that & calls it a trike & this thin has how many hits

i'm looking for help to stay riding & my post get pulled?
I can't recall any posts about trikes, or training wheels, that had any issues even close to needing to be pulled.

Was this a single post within a thread? do you have the link to where it happened? PM me with all you can put together and I will look into it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.