Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Finally fitted the fork brace this weekend - removes the 30-40mph wobble on roundabouts almost completely!

Follow the instructions carefully though or you'll have to pull the whole mudguard apart to get the steel bracket back on!

Also, the bolts are some wierd imperial thread so I'm stuck with the cheap BZP bolts that were supplied until I can identify them...

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Nitrowing:waving:Just curious, what is the top speed you have ever gone? The fastest I ever rode was 130 mph on a new Z1 in 1975. Ran from 110 to 130 mph for 45 miles racing a 429cu in Ford. Yes I won the race. That was a long time ago, nowI seldom get above 80 mph.

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Flat out on my stage1 CBR1000F streetfighter up the M180 out of Grimsby, it wouldn't quite make it to 180mph :baffled:. On the strip it would pull a 10.7sec quarter mile at 137mph. Still felt fat and slow though!

The Wing will get to just over 125mph (without the gas) but feels 'ponderous'! lol!

Should I put my Kevlar jacket on now?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Hey dean_3326, That must be the top speed for the Z1. I've heard other people go that fast on them.
How fast have you had your Wing?
I had my fully dressed '78 GL1000 up to 115 MPH after several people told me it couldn't go that fast with a fairing and trunk/bags.
The speed limit was 55 MPH at the time, and I'd still be paying that ticket off had I got caught!
I don't think I'll try the limit on my 1200. Some may call it age, I like th think I'm a bit smarter now.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hi Johnmac:waving:It was the top speed for the Z 1 as far as I know, I have only made it to 85-90 mph on the 1200, just don't have the desire anymore, plus I like my skin where it is, still on my bones and not the pavement. I start getting uncomfortable over 80 mphon my wing, it starts to feel a little unsettled on the front suspision. I need to change the fluid soon that may help. I think it is more me than the bike. I have no doubt the bike will do at least 120mph,, but not with me on it.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Nitrowing wrote:
Flat out on my stage1 CBR1000F streetfighter up the M180 out of Grimsby, it wouldn't quite make it to 180mph :baffled:. On the strip it would pull a 10.7sec quarter mile at 137mph. Still felt fat and slow though!

The Wing will get to just over 125mph (without the gas) but feels 'ponderous'! lol!

Should I put my Kevlar jacket on now?
Wow close to 180mph, That has got to be thrilling, I would have problably done it back in the wild young days of my life, but now it isa different perspective I have. I just feel lucky to have made it through all the flattrack and scramble races I ran over the years. I have a lot of trophies but I also have a bone spur lodged in a nerve in my neck from flipping upside down and landing on my head with the bike still on top of me, crocked ribs over my heart where the handlebars broke them and pushed them in, a shoulder bone pushing out above the norm., not to mention the knees, feet ect..But boy was it fun. Now it is aches I have to live with. Oh well if you want to dance you have to pay the fiddler.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Umm, off-road scares me! I don't like the lack of smooth, grippy tarmac...

I've tried it but jumps and berms and all that are NOT my thing!!!

The speed thing is all relative - at the time, I was lifting my bum off the seat, tucking my toes and elbows in... all to try and crack the 180 mark... but was completely calm and collected. I start to sweat at the thought of knobblies!

I'm paying the fiddler these days too... toes, ankles, knees, elbow, shoulder, wrists, neck... I sound like my breakfast cereal some times in the morning!! :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.