Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone I am new to this forum... and new as a Goldwing owner. I got the bike last summer and it does run great but has a few things that need to be straightened out. I plan to address them one at a time here. My Goldwing is a 1991 1500. When the engine is idling it tends to have a surge .... from about 750rpm upt to about 1100. If I increase the idle speed at all the surge gets worse, will go up to around 1500 rpm. Also as you start to engage the clutch the throttle does not seem quite right almost like a flat spot. As you start to give it throttle the rpm seems to increase to much at once. If not enough throttle is given, it feels like the bike is gonna stall. Could this be a carb sync problem?? I should also mention that the idle adjuster seems to be binding as it is fairly hard to turn and is not smooth. I assume this is not normal. With all those covers on the bike it sure makes it hard to work on, ... not like my Ace. Like I mentioned, while riding she runs smooth, no flat spot or cutting out, Has great power. Any help would be appreciated. Rojo2

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think if you remove enough plastic to lube the idle adjustment cable and its screw at the carb then screw the adjustment up and down several times the surge will be gone when you reset it. Don't know exactly why this works but it has for many people. It's possible that your carbs are out of sync, worth checking out. The 1500 only has two carbs so they are easy to balance. There are lots of possible sources of 'flat spot' on acceleration but I'd check out the two above areas first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.