Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everybody. I had so many great replies on my alternator question I thought I would try one more. When my 1500 is at idle (750 rpm)it surges back and forth between 750 and 800 rpm. Is this common?
Thanks
Westcoaster

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,168 Posts
imported post

750 rpm is just a tad low.

I would suggest reaching inside under the fuel cap cover and twisting that little knob clockwize just a tad, up to about 800-900.

If that does not resolve it, you probably have a vacuum leak.

The rubber vaccum line going to the port on the left bank between the two rear cylinders has a habit of getting hard and not sealing the port.

I had to cut 3/8" off that line and push it back on. Helped a lot in my case.

Another possiblity is the choke is not returning completely. If the above does not resolve the issue, remove the false fuel tank cover, the air filter, and peak inside the carbs. See if the slides are working smoothly. Check the choke cable for smooth operation.

Beyond that, you will need a 1500 guru to help you more.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the imput. I did pull the hose and cut 3/8 off. I think that was the problem.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

What is involved in shortening the vacuum line to the port? i.e. removal of which tupperware pieces to do this?. And what port between the two rear cylinders on the left side are you referring to? I think I have that same surge issue at times on my 98. Thanks guys.. Ride On

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

If you pull your cowling off above your shift lever the vacuum hose is attached above the rear two cylinders. It is in plain view. Hose is about 3/8 inch. Dont cut too much of or it will kink.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.