Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 82 GL 1100 runs very well Except on a uphill pull. Pulled covers off yesterday and timing marks lined up perfect!! Cleaned all electrial connections. My problem!!

On start up with choke on it'll surge up and down for awhile. After a few minutes it settles down and quits surging. Idles perfect, runs great EXCEPT on a hard pull. Then it will start missing and popping. I'm thinking of pulling carbs and having them rebuilt??? Some gut feeling tell's me tho this isn't the problem?? I've put 8000 miles on it and it's always done this. Ive run many can's of Seafoam thru it!! I don't think it's a vacum leak??

Should I get the carbs redone???:?:?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Sounds like your spark advance is not working right, or at all.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Missing in a hard pull normally indicates an ignition problem. Check your spark plugs and for corrosion where the wires go into the plug caps and coils.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Biker John wrote:
Sounds like your spark advance is not working right, or at all.
How do I check this???

Already checked my plugs and wires. All seem OK.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i think i saw a test procedure on the manual for the timing advance unit, which is located on the rear of the engine check your plugs, maybe if you post a pic of them gurus can help you read them :p

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

The timing advance is vacuum actuated. Look around underneath the carbs for the vacuum line. It may be disconnected or clogged.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Went for a ride today after cleaning all the electrial connectors I could get to. Seem's MUCH better on a pull. Think I'm on the right track by messing with the electrics!!

How the heck do you get to the 2 middle coils with the screw connectors without tearing half the bike apart!!LOL. I cleaned the 2 outside one's. No problem unscrewing them but the 2 middle one's I didn't do. Looks like ya gotta take the fuse block out??? Any suggestions??

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

You should be able to get to the coils easily by removing the air box. It will come out through the opening with a little wiggling.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
You should be able to get to the coils easily by removing the air box. It will come out through the opening with a little wiggling.
I had the air box out.2 middle ones are tough to get to!!! I'll give it another try tomorrow. Thank's.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

I replaced the plug wires on my 81 and 83 models by just removing the air box. I found bulk solid core wire at a parts store for real cheap and it did make a difference in how they ran.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
I replaced the plug wires on my 81 and 83 models by just removing the air box. I found bulk solid core wire at a parts store for real cheap and it did make a difference in how they ran.
That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing!! Might even use a different color wire?? Is there a certain kind of wire to use??

·
Premium Member
84 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

oldmisterbill wrote:
I found this article on resistor type plug wires.I was looking for a good reason besides raadio interference to use resistor type wires.
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/plugwiretech.html
Very interesting!! Thank's. I may have to read it a dozen time's to understand it tho!! LOL:):)

Welcome to the forum!! Glad to see your back riding again. Hope it works out well for you!!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

ive heard of this electrical problem(all else was good) before...was long ago and was a bad or cheap battery...just a thought

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Grambo:

I plan on getting a new one this week. Would a weak battery cause an engine to run bad??? Chargeing system seems OK.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

i just tracked this down on my daughters volks jetta i fixed and was a buggar....but one clue was when i successfully charged the batt a few times the charger needle slightly spiked occationally but the batt charged ok...so back running in the car this spike set off the silent alarm sys and shut down systems(no run)...thought i had a bad....bad gremlin to find after bypassed the alarm sys.... and then the batt went flat by itself after 5 miles...thought i had it licked. ...the electrical systems on these cars can be bad news as i read...but it was the batt cell shorting(1 or more) all along....all is hooked up back and good.....replace cheap or old batts...its the genisis of good spark and charging....geta good one and forget it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.