Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

For the past 16 years I've specialized in Goldwing and Valkyrie repair and maintenance. I want to share something I've come across that's sort of an odd problem, and the fix for it.

Last year a local fellow brought his new-to-him Valk in. The problem was it surged at idle AND at highway speeds, and his fuel mileage sucked. He had spent $750 at a shop who rebuilt his carbs and tossed a few other parts at it . I've learned not to trust what I've been told some OTHER mechanic has done, but upon inspection found the carbs were beautiful and perfect. They had done a fine job. The shop just wouldn't work on his bike anymore because they couldn't fix it. A multi-day search of all the 'Wing and Valk forums yielded nothing I hadn't already checked.

To make a long story even longer, I stumbled upon a site for cars in the UK with the same issues. They are using an engine coolant temperature sensor identical to the ones Honda uses in the 'Wings and Vlaks, same part number and all. This is NOT to be confused with the temperature sending unit nor the thermo switch. It's a whole different item.

It's located on the right intake manifold and is tied in with the brain, and reads the coolant temps, sending signals to the brain which in turn enrich or lean your fuel mixture. Bench testing them with the boiling water method won't help you, because the brain reads in milliseconds and the response time of your sensor might be ½ second. There's no way to tell.

I replaced the part, and everything was great. Now the proof; 2 weeks later I get a '96 GL1500 with the SAME PROBLEM! Replaced the sensor, and it's all good.

Now, perhaps I'm not the first “Wing and Valk guy to find this, but darned if I could find anything on the boards. If I've found it in 2 bikes, I suspect there are more of these aging beauties out there being misdiagnosed and never straightened out.

The part is listed in the on-line parts fiches as follows:
GL1500, found under “Water Pipe”, #22, Sensor, coolant temp part #36151-MT8-003
Valk: found under “Waterpipe/thermostat”, part #8 same part number as above.
Retail: $43.51

Just a sidebar; U.S. cars don't use this part on ANYTHING, so you're stuck buying from Honda. In Europe, they're common and ½ the money.

I hope this helps someone. I never post anymore, but thought this might be worth the time.

Scott Austin

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Good find Scott!

I have the hunting on my 08' and haven't found anything to point to nor any of the replies on gl1800riders.com
Might have to try that out.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
GL1500

...the 1800 is injected, correct?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
H...'96 GL1500... The part is listed in the on-line parts fiches as follows: GL1500, found under “Water Pipe”, #22, Sensor, coolant temp part #36151-MT8-003...
FYI, shown as follows (Item #22)

^ Shown on a 1992 GL1500 SE

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
...The problem was it surged at idle AND at highway speeds, and his fuel mileage sucked....
How bad was the Idle Surge, and the loss of fuel mileage?

I'm wondering if this is something for me to look at on my 1990, which has always got about 4mph less than my 2000... can't figure out why the difference.

·
Busdriver
1,036 Posts
Yeah I have a 90 too and it idles and runs well once warmed, but lopes when cold when choke is turned down to 1500 rpm or less.
Usually I just choke it hard for 2 mins. then shut it off while I get suited up. Seems to heat sink, and idles well when restarted. Always wondered if there was a problem with the temp sensor telling the brain when to turn on the vac advance (cold).

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Howdy y'all,

Newday777, No idea if this applies to the 1800's. You're on your own, bud.

Alex, the surge was about 500 rpms, both at idle and up to at least 60mph. 4 MPG is not a huge difference in those two bikes, and probably not a concern.

Busdriver, this sounds pretty typical. Don't lose sleep over it.

Now for some personal background on me. It has nothing to do with the original post, so you don't have to waste time reading it for more info.....there is none.

I stopped posting things back in 2004. I had my own Goldwing shop, had folks bring their 'Wings from everywhere between Maine and Florida to me, had carbs shipped from all over the world for repairs. Was the district director for the GWRRA classic Goldwing group, and regularly wrote technical columns. Gave lectures on classic 'Wings and repair issues. I was a prolific poster on the tech columns. Had articles published in magazines. I NEVER posted or printed anything without researching it to the nines, and then checking it out myself. It's not that I hate to be wrong, but there ain't anything better than being right! LOL!

I had a customer bring me a bike with a problem, and per indications, I did a leak down test, determining there was a problem in an exhaust valve that required a more extensive look. After explaining it all to him, he made a post on a world wide site questioning my call (even though the procedure ultimately would have saved him money), and I was bombasted by folks that didn't even know what a leak down test was. It put me in the unfortunate position to try to explain the procedure, to essentially defend myself from attacks by people who, even though unversed in the fine points of mechanics, implied I was a fraud and a charlatan. Not really good for my business OR my reputation. Gotta tell you, it kind of ticked me off, and I pretty much quit posting.

Perhaps because I've dealt with the casual rider, I've sometime oversimplified my explanations. Hey, some guys won't change their own oil, and that's ok. I won't do anything that involves a board or a nail. A man's got to know his limitations.

That being said, I'm just hoping my original post will help some guys who are stumped by their local shops. I would think the average Honda dealer mechanic might see a few 'Wings each year. Not their fault they don't know everything about one obscure bike.

Sorry for rambling, but it kind of feels good to do this again. Thanks again. Ride safe, ride often.

Scott

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Scott, ..thanks for posting-up.

If it weren't for you to have to figure out a 500 RPM flucuation like that on a 1500 (at any engine speed, let alone most all of them engine speeds, apparently.) ...who here (besides another actively posting tech) would know how to trace that down? I'm guessing nothing-much in the manual for it.

I've noticed more-and-more posting's (in the Tech forum) of the 1500's ...now including area's of the bike that have increasing problems due to their age.
1500's are getting older.
How many miles were on that bike?
Had anything on that manifold appear to have been serviced in the past?
...was the part OE?

...a barrage of questions.

Is there a spec to test it?

·
It aint rocket science
3,816 Posts
I had a customer bring me a bike with a problem, and per indications, I did a leak down test, determining there was a problem in an exhaust valve that required a more extensive look. After explaining it all to him, he made a post on a world wide site questioning my call (even though the procedure ultimately would have saved him money), and I was bombasted by folks that didn't even know what a leak down test was. It put me in the unfortunate position to try to explain the procedure, to essentially defend myself from attacks by people who, even though unversed in the fine points of mechanics, implied I was a fraud and a charlatan. Not really good for my business OR my reputation. Gotta tell you, it kind of ticked me off, and I pretty much quit posting.
Scott
I no longer give detailed step by step procedures due to the armchair quarterbacks attacking my proven and generally accepted in the industry method(s) who have nothing more to contribute than guessing with "replace this or that part":confused: which is a sure-fire way to lighten your wallet only. I now only write in general terms of where to look for a particular problem and maybe how to do it with a particular test but never just say replace something without VERIFYING a part is indeed bad through a test, visual, routine, etc.:)

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
.......I stopped posting things back in 2004. I had my own Goldwing shop, had folks bring their 'Wings from everywhere between Maine and Florida to me, had carbs shipped from all over the world for repairs. Was the district director for the GWRRA classic Goldwing group, and regularly wrote technical columns. Gave lectures on classic 'Wings and repair issues. I was a prolific poster on the tech columns. Had articles published in magazines. I NEVER posted or printed anything without researching it to the nines, and then checking it out myself. It's not that I hate to be wrong, but there ain't anything better than being right! LOL!

I had a customer bring me a bike with a problem, and per indications, I did a leak down test, determining there was a problem in an exhaust valve that required a more extensive look. After explaining it all to him, he made a post on a world wide site questioning my call (even though the procedure ultimately would have saved him money), and I was bombasted by folks that didn't even know what a leak down test was. It put me in the unfortunate position to try to explain the procedure, to essentially defend myself from attacks by people who, even though unversed in the fine points of mechanics, implied I was a fraud and a charlatan. Not really good for my business OR my reputation. Gotta tell you, it kind of ticked me off, and I pretty much quit posting......
I fully understand (been there, done that, got the t-shirt).

When not working on my Wings, I have Ford Pintos. In the past I would help people on a few sites dedicated to those cars, but there always seems to be those that want to cause trouble (including the site owner in one case).

As someone that gets roped into working on bikes, thank you for taking the time to post this info.

Bill

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
...Sorry for rambling, but it kind of feels good to do this again. Thanks again. Ride safe, ride often...
Scott, thank you for posting again. :claps:

We'all certainly appreciate your wisdom... please remember That, regardless of any negativity that may be presented in the future.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
I recall a response I made once regarding wiring and relays. I was questioned several times (indicating I was all wrong) and I finally had to post a wiring diagram to defend my position. It does tend to cause one not to want to help with problems again.

·
Administrator
58,156 Posts
Scott,

There is one very strong difference with this forum compared to others on the internet.
The moderators here take their "job" seriously and will not tolerate inflammatory remarks.

Differences of opinion are okay as long as it is in the "we agree we disagree" arena.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
I will say that over the years i have heard quite a few people complain about this exact thing. As far as I can remember it's always been a GL1500. So this should help a lot of people so thanks for posting Scott you will have helped many riders.
I'm sorry for what happened before to you but I will say that here you won't have that. The people around here seem to be glad for any knowlege you can share. Thanks Again....

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
Thanks for the post Scott. Owning an old bike has its ups and downs. Posts like this help us less experienced and less knowledgeable keep our bikes on the road!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Thanks Scott, I have a 95 1500 that is doing this and I have done all of the things that have been suggested but an still having the problem. I still would like to thank everyone that has given me ideas on what my problem might be. I am going tomarrow and see about getting one. I know of a shop that has a 1500 parts bike that I might get one off of.

·
Administrator
58,156 Posts
Thanks Scott, I have a 95 1500 that is doing this and I have done all of the things that have been suggested but an still having the problem. I still would like to thank everyone that has given me ideas on what my problem might be. I am going tomarrow and see about getting one. I know of a shop that has a 1500 parts bike that I might get one off of.
and it will be just as old and used up as the one you have now....
no more than it would cost in difference, I would go new... why buy something that has no known value?

Electronics is one arena that I don't trust used parts.... that is why the parts stores tell you, "if you opened up the bag, it is yours, no returns".

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.