Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well....after the many jobs done on my 1500...sub and cruise filter, timing belts, seafoam in the oil engine and tank...and many more other things....

i discovered today with my big surprise...., that despite i have been travelling all day long with an heated jacket on connected to the battery... i did 38 miles per gallon! wow! this has been done part in mountains, part freeway and other in suburban areas.

but i drove it very diligently...:weightlifter:

maybe all the jobs i have done???

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
imported post

don't have any mountains where I live (Illinois - flat!!) but I routinely average 40-42 MPG - solo or 2 up if I keep the speed at 60MPH or slower - - not to take anything away from all your fine efforts :applause:

Les

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

pippomaranga wrote:
but i drove it very diligently...???
There's your answer. Just like your car conservative speeds and a light throttle hand/foot equals better fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
imported post

Yup, have to agree with Ken on that point - I am very light on the throttle when achieving that 40-42 MPG...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,708 Posts
imported post

pippomaranga
There is no doubt that your efforts have recovered lost fuel mileage. The 1500 is known for good fuel economy if you treat it sanely.

But, if you decide to twist pretty hard on the throttle,

I can personally guarantee that holdng the throttle wide open turning in excess or 4,500 RPM for a full tank of fuel, that 25 mpg will be just about normal.

Don't ask me how I know :action:

But the secret knowledge is buried in this sink hole:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/YTYrb2VGUnJGR0ZFQlE9PQ

open that spreadsheet up and look at line #15

Further down there somewhere, you will note 1 tank of fuel achieved 45+ mpg, but at the same time, the tach never exceeded 1,500 rpm during that trip.

Recording inane pieces of data seems to have become a penchant for me since I retired. :baffling:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

if
i wanted gas mileage i would have bought a bergman.
rock and roll. Ive made close to 40mpg us a few times but not many. Usually 30 35. Mostly I don't check because id rather not know.
been down to 25 to!
Wilf

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

The better my fuel mileage, the worse my sanity.

Shooting for fuel mileage totallydisrupts my somewhat even flow with the World at-large. I know what the bike will do for max mpg, but what it does to me makes it not worth the effort or thought.

I just ride it. I really need my saddle tanks on it though. I fill-up damn-near daily.

$2.99 right now for E-10 'round here.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

I keep all my expenditures and trips on an app in my iphone and track the mileage everytime I fill it up. Best is 42 but the norm is 35.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
I keep all my expenditures and trips on an app in my iphone and track the mileage everytime I fill it up. Best is 42 but the norm is 35.
Which app?

·
751 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
pippomaranga
There is no doubt that your efforts have recovered lost fuel mileage. The 1500 is known for good fuel economy if you treat it sanely.

But, if you decide to twist pretty hard on the throttle,

I can personally guarantee that holdng the throttle wide open turning in excess or 4,500 RPM for a full tank of fuel, that 25 mpg will be just about normal.

Don't ask me how I know :action:

But the secret knowledge is buried in this sink hole:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/YTYrb2VGUnJGR0ZFQlE9PQ

open that spreadsheet up and look at line #15

Further down there somewhere, you will note 1 tank of fuel achieved 45+ mpg, but at the same time, the tach never exceeded 1,500 rpm during that trip.

Recording inane pieces of data seems to have become a penchant for me since I retired. :baffling:
I can Atest what 1500 said as I have gotten as good as 42 & as poorly as 25 mpg but this happens when I tow my Little guy same as sethan has ,but the average is 36-38 & Im ok with this as the 1500 is a touring Motorcycle & not a 50cc scooter !

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Don't think I ever got less than 39mpg. Average probably 43. My high is 49. I wouldn't be jumping up & down at 38mpg as a personal best.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Kimswang wrote:
Which app?
My Ride by Edible Apps

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,708 Posts
imported post

tlbranth wrote:
Don't think I ever got less than 39mpg. Average probably 43. My high is 49. I wouldn't be jumping up & down at 38mpg as a personal best.
Would that not be Imperial gallons, versus USA gallons?

Your numbers are running 10% better than anything any of my 1500s could ever do.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

From the time I got this bike in 2005 with 15k on it to today with a bit over 86k, I have averaged between 36-41 almost all the time, with the occasional great day in the 40's due to terrain and/or riding style. Getting 40 out of the wing in sub-freezing temps has not been realized my me except for when i rode my '77 GL1000.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

My 88 gets as high as 46mpg if i take it really easy. On one of my first trips to Florida, I went 80mph for about 120 miles and only got 29.5mpg and that is the last time i went that fast for that long. Now only in short bursts when needed to get past traffic. Playing leap frog with trucks on the interstate gets old after a while so I keep a faster speed for a bit until i get ahead of them enough.
The gauge goes down so fast when under 30mpg it is scary.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Up here gas is $1.25 a litre which converts to about $4,80 a USA gallon(our dollar is about the same size) so mph is starting to become noticed.Myself,running our highways at the posted limits ,I average 40mpg per US gallon.Same as most.But shouldn't expensive gas give better mileage????

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Best I did on my 1500 aspy is 45.33 using a fill-up record on my Droid X, but average seems to be around a solid 40 in pancake-flat Florida with 'Stones at 43psi each

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
tlbranth wrote:
Would that not be Imperial gallons, versus USA gallons?

Your numbers are running 10% better than anything any of my 1500s could ever do.
No, that's US gallons, 2-up,often with a ton of camping gear. I do drive conservatively, however, and try to anticipate lights & things to avoid stops. My best mileages are always in mountainous areas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.