imported post

I would like to make a survey on our loved Goldwing 1500 as follows:

1. Mileage:

2. Common problems:

3. Parts replaced

4. Bike cost

5. Overall Ratings

And started with mine;

1. Mileage/year : 40,600mls/1994 own since 39,400mls (1 month ago)

2. Common problems: Gas odor when parked after long ride

3. Parts replaces: Fuel petcock valve rebuilt kit. Replace seat cover bought from ebay. Add voltmeter on left fairing pocket.

4. USD 13,000

5. 8/10 and no regrets on buying used

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Rahim wrote:
I would like to make a survey on our loved Goldwing 1500 as follows:

1. Mileage:

2. Common problems:

3. Parts replaced

4. Bike cost

And started with mine;

1. Mileage/year : 40,600mls/1994 own since 39,400mls (1 month ago)

2. Common problems: Gas odor when parked after long ride

3. Parts replaces: Fuel petcock valve rebuilt kit. Replace seat cover bought from ebay. Add voltmeter on left fairing pocket.

4. USD 13,00
Adding your overall rating of your 1500's would be nice. I would love to have one myself. I think the used ones are very reasonable for what you are getting! But, I will always keep my old 1100 around no matter what.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Our 1500 has become quite a grand member of our family....we call it "BLUE MAX"......"MAX" for short.

1. Mileage: 63,000 + (1990 GL 1500 )

2. Common Problems: Most common problems I have had since purchase has been little 'stupid' electrical problems that make me think something more is wrong. (i.e. - melted plug or oxidized connections)

3. Parts Replaced: Timing Belts, plugs, tires, filters (none done as a have to, but more as a preventative maintenance after buying from a PO whom I did not know).....oh, windshield and radiator cap...intending to replace brake pads before the fall.

(did not replace, but installed passenger armrests, trailer hitch, trailer wiring harness, GPS system, some more chrome - 'can't get enought chrome') :cooldevil:

4. Bike Cost: Initial drive home cost - $ 6 g's

5. Overall Rating: I give "MAX" a high 8 or low 9. (so far) - Love it, would bring it to bed....but then I'd have to sleep on the couch, cause wife would want to snuggle up to it !!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
imported post

1. Mileage :68,000

2. Common problems:carbs, radio, add ons, numb butt.

3. Parts replaced: accelerator pump on carbs, fixed some minor wiring, replaced all the fuses, air n oil filters. FORGOT THE REAR WHEEL BEARING, I WAS REMINDED

4. Bike cost: 3k

5. Best bike i have owned so far.

named her Ole Blue : rattle canned cobalt metallic blue

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

1. Mileage: 92000 miles (1990 SE)

2. Common problems: Carbs, vacuum pipes

3. Parts replaced: Timing belts, timing belt tensioners, tyres, fluids, spark plugs, screen, auto fuel valve service kit, seat - the old Corbin wore out!

4. Bike cost; after transportation, import duty etc (Came from Florida), around £2,500.

5. Overall Ratings: It's a 1500. After all my carb/vacuum woes it's still 11/10 and worth every minute spent on it.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

1. 20100, 19K when I bought it a month ago
2. clock not correct
3. changed headlight bulbs to 55/60W
4. $7800.00
5. 8/10 Hard to rate this soon, plus it's my first Wing

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
imported post

1. Mileage: 83000 miles (1992 SE)

2. Common problems: miss shifts sometimes (does not go into gear correctly), stuck alternator brushes, FM radio tuning issue.

3. Parts replaced: Timing belts, tires, fluids, spark plugs, all filters, brakes, many lamps replaced with LED's, then added blue LED for bling.

4. Bike cost; $8000 3 years ago.

5. Overall Ratings: 10 it's a great machine. ;)

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

1. Mileage 83,000 Purchased 3 weeks ago (1992) Aspencade

2. Common Problems: Needed 17 Year Service. ie: Dusting off with a clean rag.

3. Parts replaced (Still working on it: Filters, Oil, Timing Belts, Fluids, Progressive front shocks).

4. Bike Cost = $4,700.00 3 weeks ago

5. Overall rating? 9 of 10
Fast enough, Fun enough, Great value!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

dwsonar wrote:
1. 20100, 19K when I bought it a month ago
2. clock not correct
3. changed headlight bulbs to 55/60W
4. $7800.00
5. 8/10 Hard to rate this soon, plus it's my first Wing
dwsonar, what year and model (Aspencade, Interstate, SE)?

G

·
imported post

1993I
Common problems: Changed timing belts, plugs, Filters, and all fluids. Also barbs and vacuumm lines were rotten PO did nothing to bike. $2500 103,000 miles. Purchased approx. 2 months ago, 10 out of 10 rating

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

1. Mileage-30,000 for a 1993 Interstate

2. Common problem-So far none.

3. Parts replaced-Front and rear tires. Will later replace seat and add passenger armrests

4. Bike cost-under $1000.

5. Overall rating-A+++

I am very pleased with the upgrade from the 1100 to the 1500

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

I own a 1989 Gold Wing and except for normal maintenance, tires, tuneup, battery speedometer cable etc, I have had no other problems. She just turned over 91,000 miles. Untilshe breaks big time,she's a keeper.

Your Friend,

John D.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

1. Mileage: '99 SE / 53,450 miles

2. Common problems: It won't let me get off of it, and I'm not getting anything done around thehouse anymore:cheeky1: Missus doesn't seem to mind since she loves sitting back there on her throne. Only real problem/mystery is a fine black dust that accumulates on the front of the saddle bags, especially on long rides. I suspect it's from the brakes. Need to get a good look at those pads soon.

3. Parts replaced: fuel filter because it started choking at 55mph. Runs fine now.

4. Bike cost: $8,500 last year with 47,000 miles on it.

5. Overall Ratings: 9 I'd give it a 10 if it didn't look like a mini-van.

I really love this bike! Last year when we decided to get back into biking, a Goldwing was not what I necessarily had in mind. We looked at one from the 80'sthat needed too much work but that was enough to set the missus off. She researched everything about Wings and the Wing Riders Assoc and thought it would be fun.

We looked at one or two that was for sale but they needed work or the price was not right. I went out of town for a few days and my wife emailed me about one she found in Massacheusetts. OK honey, when I get home we can go look at it. A couple hours later she called me to say she was leaving work early to go look at it. OK, check this, check that. A couple more hours and the phone rings, "Looks real clean, nice couple owns it, blah, blah, blah...". OK honey, when I get home I'll take a look at it. I was wondering where this was going. I wasn't hot on the idea of a Wing yet but now knewsome kind ofbike would be in our driveway very soon. An hour later and another phone call, "Honey, you now own a Goldwing". Holy Crap!

Well, I returned home, rented a trailer, and drove out to pick up our new bike. She was right about it being clean. It's the pearl white SE and it sparkled in the sun. No scrapes or marks. Finished the paper work and then got on it to put it on the trailer. I'd never ridden a Wing before nor anything else that size/weight. Rolling down the POs driveway into the street was an eye opener. What have I gotten myself into? Riding it up on the trailer was an adventure but we got it home without any problems. Took a few weeks to get the feel of it and feel comfortable with it but, what a ride. Every so often I ride by a store with big windows and I catch my reflection. Looks like a mini-van. But I love every inch of it. Can't thank my wife enough so, whenever she tosses out an idea for a ride I've got my helmet in my hand. Who cares ifwe need a machete to cross the lawn. We'll be seeing you all on the road. :waving:

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

1. Mileage: 1990 pearl white SE: 235,000 miles when I gave it to my brother last year. Still looking great and running strong.

2. Common problems: alternator brushes and bearing, speedo cable, dash lights

3. Parts replaced: Other than "normal" maintenance - progressive springs, rear wheel bushings, alternator, timing belts (twice).

4. Bike cost: Bought it new - $15,000 out the door.

5. Overall Ratings: Gotta give it a 9+

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

JimsWing wrote:
I really love this bike! Last year when we decided to get back into biking, a Goldwing was not what I necessarily had in mind. We looked at one from the 80'sthat needed too much work but that was enough to set the missus off. She researched everything about Wings and the Wing Riders Assoc and thought it would be fun.

We looked at one or two that was for sale but they needed work or the price was not right. I went out of town for a few days and my wife emailed me about one she found in Massacheusetts. OK honey, when I get home we can go look at it. A couple hours later she called me to say she was leaving work early to go look at it. OK, check this, check that. A couple more hours and the phone rings, "Looks real clean, nice couple owns it, blah, blah, blah...". OK honey, when I get home I'll take a look at it. I was wondering where this was going. I wasn't hot on the idea of a Wing yet but now knewsome kind ofbike would be in our driveway very soon. An hour later and another phone call, "Honey, you now own a Goldwing". Holy Crap!

Well, I returned home, rented a trailer, and drove out to pick up our new bike. She was right about it being clean. It's the pearl white SE and it sparkled in the sun. No scrapes or marks. Finished the paper work and then got on it to put it on the trailer. I'd never ridden a Wing before nor anything else that size/weight. Rolling down the POs driveway into the street was an eye opener. What have I gotten myself into? Riding it up on the trailer was an adventure but we got it home without any problems. Took a few weeks to get the feel of it and feel comfortable with it but, what a ride. Every so often I ride by a store with big windows and I catch my reflection. Looks like a mini-van. But I love every inch of it. Can't thank my wife enough so, whenever she tosses out an idea for a ride I've got my helmet in my hand. Who cares ifwe need a machete to cross the lawn. We'll be seeing you all on the road. :waving:
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:"NOT" laughing at you, Jim....but rather with you. Your story parallels mine a bit....enjoyed the reading...RIDE ON BROTHER !!! :action::action:

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Jim and Bluewinger, I'm like you too. Goldwing is not my dream bike instead BMW R1150RT. After trying the wing, I'm fall in love to the Wing and my wife gaves 100% green light. After so much positives feedback from this forum, I know now I'm taking the wright choices. I'm yet to hear from this forum someone had changed their clutch friction plate or completely overhall their engine. Surpringly Jmcannonball had 235000mls on his Wing and only done very minor repair job. Again congratulations to you all guys for having the superb bike. One more things, these forums are great and most of the usersespeacially the senior members had the technical knowledges.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Im not like you folks !This is my 3rd wing & best so far bought it in 03 $8,500 had 40,000 mi didn`t know what I had gotten myself into with all the neon lites it had on it ! an electricle system nightmare until got the compufire altenator !Other then that tires cupping & shorted wireing are the major problems other then some hoses underneith the carbs rotted oh it is a 96 gl1500se forest green !

·
751 Posts
imported post

Oh also Radiator cap & progressive fork springs & could have a little more get up & go in the mountains & now she has 88,000 miles !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.