Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 1995 GL1500SE with a weeping front fork seal. Scheduled for re-building soon. A few questions for the pro's. I have new progressive springs to install in the front forks and I'm hunting around for bushing & seal kits.OEM or Aftermarket?

Right now the 130k mile bike rides like a tank. I use the OEM suggested air pressures front and rear. The rear is a snap to adjust. Although the owners manual says to adjust while on the center stand I can't because of the sidecar. Will that make a differance?

The front is a pain because of the low pressures and being touchy to adjust. Is there a kit to link up both front fork air valves? It there a guage or pump that works best for adjusting the psi in the front forks?

I plan on going over the triple tree as well while I have the front end off. Any Advice would be much appreciated. I have the Honda & Chilton Shop manuals. They both are very well done books and worth every penny.

Thank you all

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

I don't think there is a kit to crossover the airlink on the front forks. Most sidecar owners seem to agree that the stock front end is a bit of a compromise for a rig and I don't recall if they say Progressives make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

this is one place that has the full kits for the front forks. I'm sure there are many more. They run with seals, bushings and O rings for both sides 97.00.

http://www.wingstuff.com/

I would think that progressives can only help you. I know they helped me considerably in the trike. I don't use air at all with the progressives in the front.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Same here. The MotorTrike I ride has progressives in the forks, and air makes very little difference in the ride.Over filling with more air will lift the forks up quite a bit, but you are guarenteed to blow the seals. I run 2-4 pounds of air,as suggested by a trike dealer, and leave it. It will leak off in about a week.jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks so far all. From what the seller of the rig told me the rack was modified on my bike. So it will never be a two wheeler again. I have no problem with steering or and "shimmy". The sidecar has an electric trim so I can adjust the "alingment/hight depending on the load in the hack. The hack has a very good working torsion bar suspension. Yes I'll check out the kit Spider Bob suggested. Any comments on OEM vs. Aftermarket kits for the front forks?
Bee Safe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.