Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Whlst riding back to Yorkshre from Isle of Wight, on a fairly decent stretch of road I felt an almighty bang, now it just doesnt feel right, is there a quick way of checking wether the airsuspension has blown? I now nothng about these things at all and wonder if I could check it myself before throwing money at it!!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Snowflake, As has been said, we are separated by a common language. Give us a little more information. Where did the bang come from, front or back? Is the "not quite right" a wiggle or a bump?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hello Jack, I know it sounde very vague! The bang seemed to come from underneath just in front of the rear wheel, as for not feeling right, It seems now to be giving a much harder ride whatever the setting, I seemed to remember on the 1200 there wqs a valve somewhere on the forks where you could blow the suspension up! Obvuiously I am ld and the mists of time may be playing tricks on me!I stopped when it happenend and there was nothing at all in the road, yet it felt as if I had ridden over a big lump of something. Hope this clears it up a bit for you. All the very best

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The location you describe is the rear suspension spring and dampner. Does the bike sit lower in the rear? Without knowing a lot more, I would take it to a bike mechanic or dealer and spend a few pounds to find out exactly what is broken even if I decided to repair it myself.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for that Jack, I think it would be wise to do just that, I just wondered if there was a short cut. Yes it does seem to be sitting lower at the back now. All the best mate, I appreciate your input.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

Have you had any work done to the rear shock? It sort of sounds like either the top bolt or one of the bottom linkage bolts might have come out. The shock system is not an 'air' system. It works on fluid pressure. If the hose had burst you'd have hydraulic fluid all over the rear end area.

Before you spend any money… get down and view the bottom end of the shock. A flashlight will be handy… it's sort of dark in there. Look for any bolts that are missing their nuts or if there's any bolts missing. It should be obvious if there's one gone.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Ray, I will get down tomorrow and give it a good once over! I dont remember seeing any fluid when it first happenend but it was hammering down and blowing a gale at the time!I haven't had any work done to the rear shock but have covered some 35,000 miles in the 3 years I have had it.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Not positive about UK bikes, but here on our side of the pond there were recalls concerning the swing arms and questionable welds. Was you wing ever checked for this?

Also there is no air in this system . Just electrics and hydraulics and a spring.

Sure sounds like something has snapped to me with the information given.

Do check on the recall though. May be able to get fixed under recall forfree. Let us hope.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

It's rare but can happen where a coil spring breaks. Usually with a load bang such as you describe. :shock:

·
Trike Master
1,248 Posts
imported post

1800's do not have air suspension.
There is a mono-rear shock w/a hydraulic preload spring on the outside of the shock.
If the bang sounded like in front of the rear wheel, I'd be looking for a broken "something" around the shock area.
Could be the spring or one of the spring plates.
Any Honda dealer can run your VIN to determine if your Wing is one that needs welded and if it has been done as far as the frame problem goes.
There are a few that the frames cracked where the tubes go down towards the saddlebags from just under the rider portion of the seat.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

That is a rare problem Snowflake. If you can't see fluid leaking, the spring may have snapped.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks to all who have replied! I have just spent a couple of hours underneath and it seems you are right, the spring appears to of snapped. Oh what joy, now I have to track one down, I have been told you can't buy just the spring but have to get the whole assembly! Thanks again for all your help, time to start saving my beer tokens!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hey, Snowflake, I have been watching this thread with interest to see what it ended up being.
I may be able to help you out on the spring etc. PM me if you don't get an offer of help from some one nearer and I will see if we can work something out.
:waving:

·
1,716 Posts
imported post

Iff You have to buy new parts , look at the TRAXXION . - it works MUCH better than the Honda one , i can tell you for sure !

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

You might look around for trike conversion companies. Over here in the USA some folks have purchased entire rear assemblies that were removed in the conversion for little money.

If you have to replace entire shock assy., (most likely scenerio) Traxxion seems to put folks in a happy place.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I was quoted about £600 for a Traxxion unit! Thought that a bit steep. Is there anyway of seperating the spring from the damper or does it have to be a comlete unit replacement? I have seen a spring on e-bay from an 04 model and have bid on it, now I just need to know if it is possible to replace just the spring??

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Here ya go Snowflake, a picture of the one I have, it actually looks worse for wear in the picture than it appears in the flesh, mostly the light surface rust doing that I think.

Can anyone shed any light on whether these units are indeed dismantleable, only I can't see any obvious way of separating the spring from the shock absorber ( damper)

:?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

bobvail wrote:
You might look around for trike conversion companies.  Over here in the USA some folks have purchased entire rear assemblies that were removed in the conversion for little money.

Good call Bobvail, that is what I did, which is why I can offer Snowflake the spring unit, somewhat cheaper than the Traxxion or Mother Honda options. :cheesygrin:

·
1,716 Posts
imported post

SILVERFOX -When you compress only the spring ,(i use a homemade tool ), you can move the "adjuster cylinder" down on the shock and you will see a "lock ring". Remove this ring , release the spring , and you have the assembly apart.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Thanks Smeden and given the compression and the necessity for a tool, I am thinking that Snowflake will be better off just doing a straight swap out of the whole unit, for the one I have. He has already PM'd to say he will probably have it off me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.