Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If you've looked at any of the modifications I've made to my '75 Wing in thephoto albums in my signature, I had to use spacers to set my speedo and tach up out of the bracket. This was to gain clearance for the cluster tokeep from hittingthe Hondaline fairing. If I can find a photo of what was there, I'll edit this post later today.

Since I'm now resurrecting the Wing, I'd like to use an '80-'82 cluster, but want to use my original speedo/tach. Mainly because my speedo has the actual mileage on the bike - tach, well because I'm sentimental and they are a matched set. :dude:

Has anyone made this modification OR does anyone know if the gauges can be swapped like this?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

Don't know if this will help but I mounted a 78 Speedo on my 81.

The speedo fit the housing but the mounting studs on the speedo were not long enough to go through the 81 housing on the bottom. I found a couple of pieces I think are called coupling nuts at a local hardware store that I screwed onto the studs and thenusedscrews tomount the speedo in.

There were also a couple of wires that have something to do with the turn signal that I left disconnected and had no impact on anything.

Other than that the speedometer cable worked fine and the calibration was almost perfect.

Peter

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That's great. I believe I know what you mean by the coupling nuts. And the tach from an '80-'82 has the same type of tach cable as a '75? I'd love to find someone close around here that has an early '80's model so I could see things first hand, but everyone has hibernated for the winter.

Thanks! :cooler:

Larry

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

I have a 77 and an 80 and an 81, They all look pretty much the same. they are in my rented garage which is about a ten minute drive from my houe. I have no transportation right now or I would go look to be sure, would even get some pictures. I'll try to get over there in the next few days to get some pictures for ya.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

If you can't find coupling nuts look in places like Radio Shack for Stand Offs they're used for mount circut boards but should also work for mounting gauges.

:action:

Ride Safe and Free

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
I have a 77 and an 80 and an 81, They all look pretty much the same. they are in my rented garage which is about a ten minute drive from my houe. I have no transportation right now or I would go look to be sure, would even get some pictures. I'll try to get over there in the next few days to get some pictures for ya.
I'd really appreciate the pictures. What I also need to see is the difference in how the bracket sets up on an early '80's model, compared to the way they set down in the '75-'77.

Thanks for any help! :clapper:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.